naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Computer recognizing but not using all of ram  (Read 536 times)

Offline SilverSwords

• [NTHW] Friends and Family
Computer recognizing but not using all of ram
« on: 07 April 2017, 10:20: PM »
So I know I've not talked to you guys in a while, but I've run into a wall where my brother's useless and so's the internet. Basically, my computer is recognizing all of the ram I have, but isn't using it. With nothing but necessary systems running, about 40% of my ram is being used. I open Chrome and it suddenly leaps to 90%. I try to open more than 3/4 tabs and suddenly it slows down to snail speed. I may not be the best person when it comes to technology, but I know that shouldn't be happening with 16gb of ram. I've checked my bios and it's recognizing all 16gb and I've made sure the maximum memory option in the system configuration is unchecked and set to 0. The only other advice or solutions I've found is getting new ram and a new motherboard which is obviously a last resort.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance  ;)
Careful, ill stab you in the back given the chance

Offline Shepherd

• [NTHW] Clan
Re: Computer recognizing but not using all of ram
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2017, 12:25: AM »
you might be running 32bit windows, this limits the amount of ram that gets used, try upgrading to 64bit

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2017, 07:06: AM »
Well your bios may read 16Gb but as Shep said if your on a 32bit version of windows you will only have around 4Gb available in windows to use.

If your on 64bit which I suspect you will then you need to run a Spyware etc scan but I do know from previous experience that Chrome is a massive Ram user and will cripple most pc's or did anyway.

It might be worth looking in to the whole Chrome and Ram issues on the net and seeing if there is something you can try in order to free up the ram.

There shouldn't be any reason for changing the max mem option either that I am aware off.

You may also need a fresh install of windows dependent on how the spyware etc scans turn out.

Offline zingle

« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2017, 07:57: AM »
try reseating your ram. Humour me

Offline SilverSwords

« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2017, 10:32: AM »
The spyware came up with nothing, but I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows after my D drive became corrupted, just after Christmas while I was having similar problems, it seems It's just gotten worse since then. I've also tried reseating the ram multiple times and it didn't really do anything.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2017, 01:08: PM »
What Windows version do you have?  7 8 10?  And what bit?  32 or 64?

What is the rest of your hardware - CPU, HDD(s) and / or SSD(s).

What is your antivirus / antimalware?  It is possible to configure this too aggressively so that it is continuously scanning far too much.  If you have HDDs that can really kill your PC's response (we saw that at work where machines were effectively unusable for 20 minutes after booting up due to a startup scan running on HDDs)

When you see the slowdown, what does task manager show is hogging CPU and RAM?

Windows is normally on a C rather than D drive (that may be a typo?).  But if one drive isn't working well on your PC, in some way the files are on the verge of corruption, or the drive itself is dying, that may affect response of PC if it is trying to read / write to the drive?
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline SilverSwords

« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2017, 06:20: PM »
So this is actually the stupidest thing. I installed McAfee to make absolute sure I didn't have a virus or any spywhere etc, and it all of a sudden fixed itself. Is that even a thing? Thanks for the help thought guys  :D

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2017, 09:07: PM »
You have made a terrible mistake. You have installed McAfee  :(
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...