naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: X-WingVM  (Read 534 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
X-WingVM
« on: 24 May 2017, 12:14: PM »
I posted about this on the facebook group, also chucking it here.
A bunch of guys are creating a Unity wrapper for the original X-Wing game - to bring the graphics, sound and controller support up to date.
It's free, but you'll need a copy of the original game to make it work (mission files etc)

If you want to follow along on facebook - here's their FB group link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/512806878928876/

Here's a video of current development version gameplay:

And here's a screenie of the artwork and modelling going into the X-Wing cockpit design (which they intend to make a 3D model, rather than flat)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: X-WingVM
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 01:45: PM »
I wonder how they'll get round the licencing of it.  Star Wars related stuff is bound to have copyright issues.

But this was one of the first games I tried to play properly.  And I still fail to understand why there hasn't been a proper official attempt to do something similar, especially given all the other modern space sim things out there.  Seems like Star Wars gaming these days is FPS and yet the clue is "star" i.e. space.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 01:52: PM »
I wonder how they'll get round the licencing of it.  Star Wars related stuff is bound to have copyright issues.

But this was one of the first games I tried to play properly.  And I still fail to understand why there hasn't been a proper official attempt to do something similar, especially given all the other modern space sim things out there.  Seems like Star Wars gaming these days is FPS and yet the clue is "star" i.e. space.

The ownership of all copyrighted material remains with Disney, these guys have already discussed the issues with Disney and have been given the green light to proceed. The crux of it is that you must have a legit copy of X-Wing (still available on Steam and GOG) to be able to play - so Disney still get the revenues of any new copies sold - this is just a Unity wrapper for the game.

It is sad that Lucasarts decided not to do any more "X-Wing" games after X-Wing Alliance in 1999. There are very few, if any, mission-based space combat games since then. The world went FPS.....

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2017, 02:56: PM »
Might have to dig out my old game which I think is buried under dust on a shelf.  Not quite sure how I'd install something from floppy disk though :erm:

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 03:18: PM »
Might have to dig out my old game which I think is buried under dust on a shelf.  Not quite sure how I'd install something from floppy disk though :erm:

LOL. I'm not sure if you can still get USB external floppy drives, and the original version probably will just not install on a modern windows OS.
It's £6.99 on Steam currently, I've seen it drop to £1.99 on occasion - when they have their "madness" sales, if you mark it as "put on wishlist" or whatever it is on the store page - you'll get a notification email from Steam when it goes on sale. The X-WingVM mod is not due to be released for many months yet, so plenty of time to either get your DOS version working, or get the Steam version on the cheap.

I bought it last year as I had been using "unofficial" copies of the game content for quite a while.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 07:58: PM »
I've got a floppy drive sitting in the drawer next to me (I have no idea why I still have one).  Not sure if I've got the connection ribbon lead thing in my odds and sods crate.  But of course the motherboard has no ancient socket so that's all rather pointless.

Those were the good old days though.  1992's X Wing Wars fitted on all of 5 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disks. :D  No interweb so no patching, it just worked in simple DOS 3.1 (or higher) on a 386 or higher CPU requiring a stunning 1 megabyte of RAM, and a hard disk.  And the selling point - it was in VGA 256 colour only  :drool:  Let's not forget the "fluid 3-D polygon graphics of Imperial and Rebel Alliance spacecraft", "searing laser blasts and fiery bitmap explosions!"  :yes:

Even better was the activation process.  Load the game, be confronted by a protocol droid (with guard present to check you aren't an imperial spy!), and match the displayed graphic to the different ones printed in the starfighter pilot manual, to give you a code.  Much more exciting than just typing some random serial code printed on the back of a bit of paper or sent by email :tu:

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2017, 09:10: AM »
I've got a floppy drive sitting in the drawer next to me (I have no idea why I still have one).  Not sure if I've got the connection ribbon lead thing in my odds and sods crate.  But of course the motherboard has no ancient socket so that's all rather pointless.

Those were the good old days though.  1992's X Wing Wars fitted on all of 5 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disks. :D  No interweb so no patching, it just worked in simple DOS 3.1 (or higher) on a 386 or higher CPU requiring a stunning 1 megabyte of RAM, and a hard disk.  And the selling point - it was in VGA 256 colour only  :drool:  Let's not forget the "fluid 3-D polygon graphics of Imperial and Rebel Alliance spacecraft", "searing laser blasts and fiery bitmap explosions!"  :yes:

Even better was the activation process.  Load the game, be confronted by a protocol droid (with guard present to check you aren't an imperial spy!), and match the displayed graphic to the different ones printed in the starfighter pilot manual, to give you a code.  Much more exciting than just typing some random serial code printed on the back of a bit of paper or sent by email :tu:

Yep, a staggering 640x480 resolution  :o, 8-bit sampled sounds and midi music  :clap: - and remember selecting the address & IRQ channel in the setup for the soundcard?  :pcbang: Also, did you need a different boot floppy disk with customised autoexec and config.sys to make sure you had enough base RAM to run the game?  :pcno:
Yes, those were the days.... I lost 100s of hours to the game back then