naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Wireless Router  (Read 710 times)

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
Wireless Router
« on: 14 July 2017, 06:38: PM »
Hi Guys,

I have someone who is looking for a wireless router - needs to have a powerful and stable wireless connection any suggestions?

TIA

Impz

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2017, 07:32: PM »
Not wireless but would homeplug do it, good reviews hth

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2017, 07:45: PM »
ASUS do some good ones. I'm using a DSL-AC68U. Very good :tu:
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2017, 08:37: PM »
what kind of budget Impz and is it for a BT connection so modem/router or a virgin connection which is router only

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 08:46: PM »
what kind of budget Impz and is it for a BT connection so modem/router or a virgin connection which is router only

He wants the 'dogs bollocks' but I suspect when presented with a price of over £150 he would baulk at the cost. It is a BT connection

TIA

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2017, 08:47: PM »
Avoid Asus unless you like updating the firmware on it every couple of months, when new holes are found that mean anyone can gain easy access to the devices connected to it.

I would look at Synology or Linksys, they are on the pricey side but they offer lot's of features and are at least not full of holes like many others and don't offer stupid things like wireless AD which most people are not going to ever want to use, because it's practically useless outside of the room the router is in.

Personally I would say a set of home plugs with a wi-fi access point built in would be the best option, but in order to get them working properly they need to be used on the same ring main as the modem, and generally from my experience if a house has 2 ring mains it's generally one upstairs and one downstairs so they would basically be useless.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2017, 10:06: PM »
Damien is correct saying that ASUS update a lot. Doesn't bother me as it implies that they are giving a lot of input to their product.
BT homehub is totaly pants.....

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 07:27: AM »

but in order to get them working properly they need to be used on the same ring main as the modem, and generally from my experience if a house has 2 ring mains it's generally one upstairs and one downstairs so they would basically be useless.

You sure about that ? it was my understanding that it didn't have to be :shrug:

Just had a Google and it looks like as long as they are on the same phase i.e. not in a 3 phase premises they will work, the neighbours, if on the same phase could pick up the signal so use the security provided :tu:
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 07:31: AM by bopdude »

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2017, 08:05: AM »
Yeah they will work, but to get full speed etc according to what I was told they had to be used on the same ring main.

If they work and they work well then that's excellent but never tried them myself on different ring main's.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2017, 07:10: PM »
Correct. I've used the BT homehubs across two ring mains (single phase) and it all works but the transfer speeds, whilst adequate, won't win anty awards.

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2017, 09:09: PM »
is your mate on BT ADSL or BT Fiber?

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2017, 09:16: PM »
BT ADSL on that line - it is a dedicated line for 1 aspect of the business. They use notebooks to collect data from trucks for diagnose and calibration and these results have to go back to the manufacturer, so a strong signal is required to ensure that the data is sent.

We have in place at the moment a wireless access point but it is not capable of reaching the far ends of the building so something a bit bigger is required.

TIA

Impz

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2017, 08:08: AM »

Offline zingle

« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2017, 10:08: AM »

BT also use cable routers now ;)

Offline zingle

« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2017, 10:16: AM »
Add a high gain antenna to the network :)