naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: New monitor  (Read 88 times)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
New monitor
« on: 02 August 2017, 02:28: PM »
I'm looking to shuffle my monitors along the line (need another one at work) so that means I'm looking for a new one for me.
Currently using a 24" Samsung 1920x1080 using a nvidia gtx 980 Ti.
Anyone got any recommendations?
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
Re: New monitor
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2017, 02:36: PM »
« Last Edit: 02 August 2017, 02:49: PM by Ramrod »

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2017, 04:55: PM »
If you have the 980Ti you should definitely be looking at upping the resolution.  You haven't got the power for 4k, but 1440p should be a reality.  It's what I have.

For g-sync the problem is you don't actually realise when it's working, or not.  No point if your monitor can only do 60Hz, as chances are the card is already faster than that, at least on most current games, even in ultra settings.  But if you get a 100Hz or even 144Hz refresh rate monitor then g-sync could be good.

Of course, refresh rate may not mean much if the response time of the monitor is pitiful.  Generally you need a TN panel for the fastest response in milliseconds, but the colour purists would argue that TN panels aren't as good as some less responsive types.

I have this one : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html  but that is now nearly £250 more expensive than I paid back in 2015 :eek:
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2017, 07:32: PM »
£250 more than it was 2 years ago??!!!! I feel like not buying it on principle!  :o

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2017, 09:19: PM »
When I got it it had a stonking offer ;)

And I suppose we are allowed to blame Brexit :P

Offline zingle

« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2017, 11:23: PM »

Well if they are blaming Brexit for something that has come from the USA likely made from parts from Asia then  they are blagging it

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Retired List
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2017, 05:02: PM »

Well if they are blaming Brexit for something that has come from the USA likely made from parts from Asia then  they are blagging it

Nearly every price increase is being blamed on Brexit, I mean Sony are putting up the price of the PSN by 25% because of Brexit just because they can.

The only good thing about it is that because the pound and the dollar are iirc almost the same, then we pay pretty much the same price including tax as the americans do without tax.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2017, 09:04: PM »
I've put that idea on the back burner. Put a bog standard screen that Mandy was using into the back office at work. Mandy can use one of the really crappy old screens that we've got lying around at home.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2017, 11:46: PM »
Mandy can use one of the really crappy old screens that we've got lying around at home.

And with that attitude you wonder why you say she complains if you say you want to upgrade your PC :doh: