+ Star Wars Battlefront II naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefront II  (Read 238 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Star Wars Battlefront II
« on: 13 November 2017, 10:52: AM »
So, been playing the single player content on this on the Origin play-first trial, here are some initial impressions.

SP Campaign:
I have played the "Prologue" mission only so far (I have this Thurs & Fri off work, so saving the campaign for then).
First impressions are good, the action gameplay is as fast-paced as any shooter I've played, there is also a bit of "stealth" going on with silent "takedowns". Some other game mechanics are that you have an imperial tactical droid which you use to unlock (slice) doors, hack computers and also kill enemies with an electric shock - so plenty going on, looking forward to getting through the 12 missions in the campaign later this week.

Arcade Mode:
For what content is there, it is pretty fun to play. There are 16 "Battle Scenarios", each with 3 levels of difficulty, and also a "Custom" mode, where you can select your map (6 to choose from), game mode and other parameters to play a match against bots.
The biggest dissapointment is the lack of game modes in Arcade mode, there are only two (both for Battle Scenarios and Custom), these are "Team Battle" (TDM) and Onslaught (which is a timed challenge where the clock ticks down and every kill adds a few seconds back on to your time - you have to kill X number of enemies for victory).
With Galactic Conquest (Conquest), Starfighter Assault, Strike (capture the flag), Heroes & Villains (4v4 hero battles) and Blast (CQC) missing from arcade, it seems a little thin on content. Gossip on the forums suggests some of these modes will come to arcade at a later date.
There are a series of challenges to complete in arcade mode which do give rewards which can be used in multiplayer, but compared to the rewards in multiplayer itself, they are quite small - mostly earning in-game credits with which you can claim reward crates, which in turn can contain upgrade cards for enhancing abilities and crafting parts for upgrading weapons.
You do not gain any ranking points for the various soldier, hero and vehicle classes in Arcade mode, all ranking is multiplayer only.

Multiplayer:
Only scratched the surface of this during the beta, TLDR; is you can "party up" with friends, but no dedi servers, and dedi servers are not going to happen. Unlikely to become a clan game because of this, and also because there is no hardcore mode, the option for 3rd person, and not everyone likes Star Wars snyway. I won't really be getting into multiplayer until the end of this month, as that's when caravan season ends and I'll be back at the house in the evenings and weekends.

The "Reload" mechanic: This has been vastly improved, as you blast away, there is a meter shown to indicate how hot your weapon has become, you can now cool your blaster anytime you like, when it gets near "too hot" another indicator reminds you to cool (or reload).

Overall, my feeling so far is that this is a better game than it's predecessor, but still has some way to go for me to be really pleased with it.
I have had a lot of fun playing Boba Fett and killing rebel scum, but it's also just as much fun playing as troopers and blasting away.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Star Wars Battlefront II
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2017, 10:01: AM »
First DLC season due to start in early December - called "The Last Jedi".
Sees new maps for multiplayer, two new heroes (Finn & Captain Phasma) and new chapters added to the SP campaign.

Cost: £0

:)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2017, 11:59: AM »
As with many EA/Dice games this one seems to be getting a lot of negative press.  This time over microtransactions and that this seems to be the way to get access to most of the hero characters :( 
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2017, 12:59: PM »
For me this game has been one that I was looking forward to but then there were certain people hired to write the story etc for this whole "Must be SJW" friendly thing that is going on this year and last year, and because of that I have no intention of buying it or even playing it if it was free, and doesn't take in to account the whole big issue with the game currently.

Micro-Transactions are something that we are going to have to get use to, they have been in games for a while now and they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

The issue with this in this game is that you whole character progression etc is tied directly to "loot boxes", and they did get alot of stick over this and have since removed them from the game, whilst dropping the amount of credits needed to unlock a specific "Hero" but what they also did was reduce the amount of credits you get by around 75% iirc so it's still, going to take you along time to unlock a single "Hero" roughly in the region of 40 hours if you have decent games, if you have less than decent that time could double or even be cut in half if you have really good games apparently, but there are multiple hero's in the game with more planned, someone apparently has done the math and found that an average player would need to spend roughly 8000 hours in order to unlock everything in the game, or spend around £1000 on the micro-transactions to fully unlock everything.

The Belgium Gambling Authority is currently looking in to this whole situation and EA may be getting in trouble as they believe like many others do that these "Loot Boxes" are a form of "Gambling" and "Pay To Win" and encouraging younger people to beg, borrow and steal money in order to buy the items in the game just to have an advantage over others.

There are games currently who have these "Loot Boxes" in them but most of them are "Free To Play" games and as such that is the only revenue they get and they are cosmetic items only and others such as Destiny 1 & 2, PUBG and others have them in but they are strictly cosmetic items only they do not give you anything from them that will give you an advantage over others.

I will be glad when these things get banned because they eventually will, but it's going to take a long time for it to happen and what will happen first is games will be banned from sale in countries first.

Either way this is not a game for me, neither is the new Call Of Duty because they have a similar thing in them where you can get "Double/Increased XP Gain" cards for weapons etc giving those people who decide to pay money a distinct advantage over those who choose not to or cannot afford to.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 10:30: AM »
All true, but no different to the shortcut kits and upgrades available in the previous game, and also in the battlefield games going back to BF3.

I will accept the hero unlocks are a step too far though.

Then again, I mostly into this game for it's single-player content, just hoping that Starfighter Assault gets added to the single player/private match side of things and I'll be happy.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2017, 10:09: AM »
I see Spanner has this game now (a Christmas present?)

Anyway, I know there are issues with the loot crate system, but after 6 weeks of playing this, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have not really seen any evidence of pay-to-win advantages in multiplayer, but that may be down to me mostly playing Starfighter Assault (which is epic!). I have played the other modes as well, and they are all fun in their own ways IMHO.

To break down the MP progression system, we have four things:
Credits: These are used to unlock heroes, and purchase loot crates. You earn credits by playing the game, playing and completeing the campaign yields about 10,000, you can earn up to 500 per day in Arcade Mode (this cap is a bone of contention) and you also earn plenty of credits in multiplayer when you complete a match. So far, I have earned enough credits to be able to unlock everything that can be unlocked with credits with 40 hours of gameplay, and much of that was playing and replaying SP content where I was not earning.

Crystals: As far as I can tell, these can be used to purchase loot crates - and can be purchased from the store for real £££ - I've not done this due to the random nature of loot crate contents

Crafting parts: Probably the most useful of items, these can be earned by completeing milestones, and also gained from loot crates. These are use to craft and upgrade weapons, abilities and star cards. Upgrading star cards from level 1 to level 2 required gaining MP rank of 10, then 15 for level 3 and 20 for level 4, each level requires more crafting parts to upgrade (e.g. 40 for initial unlock, 80 for upgrade to level 2, 120 for upgrade to level 3 etc)

Loot crates: Random. You get one free loot crate per day, which contains a random star card, 15 crafting parts and 75 credits. Duplicate star cards yield credits (200, 400, 600, 800 depending on star card level) - a bit pants IMHO, but there ya go. Loot crates are also earned from playing the campaign and completing milestones in MP, Arcade and the season challenges (currently this is called "The Last Jedi", you pick a side (Resistance/First Order) at the beginning of the season, then complete challenges in game - multiplayer and arcade, and get rewards. And, of course, you can purchase loot crates using credits or crystals.

In terms of recommending this game, I would say, if you are a big Star Wars fan (like me), you will find the gameplay enjoying, but with the current state of the loot crate system, I'd suggest holding off until this game is 1/2 price (£25).
There are no planned paid DLC for this game, all DLC is planned to be rolled out as part of the base game purchase - but if things change with the micro-transactions, that may change too. My advice is to let the idiots with more money than sense carry on, but make the loot crate system a little less random - e.g. don't give out duplicate star cards, and perhaps break down the categories for loot crates a little more - e.g. per trooper type/ per hero/per starfighter type etc..

PS, fastest way to gain ranking points is to play Heroes vs Villains

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2017, 01:57: PM »
My cousin got it for the kids, but on PC rather than PS4 (that's a shame!)

Anyway, so far I think it's a great game! So much better than the first one. I know there are a lot of people getting het up about loot crates etc etc, but I'm just having a blast playing, not really bothered about the leveling process tbh.

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2018, 03:11: PM »
It really is so much better than the first one! Really enjoying playing this at the moment. My only real gripe so far is getting enough points ingame to be able to play as Darth/Luke etc.

It's taken me 30hrs or so of gameplay to unlock all the heroes/ships and is easily done if you play through the fairly simple SP campaign mode.

Can't get my head around what's happening in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter battles, but I'll pick it up with practice.

Not felt the need to buy any of the controversial "Loot Crates" as of yet, doubt I ever will tbh.

The Officer class seem a little OP right now, so may get nerfed a little in the future.

Didn't think I would get on with this, but it gets my vote so far.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2018, 03:58: PM »
It really is so much better than the first one! Really enjoying playing this at the moment. My only real gripe so far is getting enough points ingame to be able to play as Darth/Luke etc.

It's taken me 30hrs or so of gameplay to unlock all the heroes/ships and is easily done if you play through the fairly simple SP campaign mode.

Can't get my head around what's happening in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter battles, but I'll pick it up with practice.

Not felt the need to buy any of the controversial "Loot Crates" as of yet, doubt I ever will tbh.

The Officer class seem a little OP right now, so may get nerfed a little in the future.

Didn't think I would get on with this, but it gets my vote so far.

Getting enough points for playing as a hero or just a reinforcement is a tricky thing, it differs between game modes, but I'm getting to understand how to maximise gaining points early on in matches using ways other than just killing others. For example, if you play as assault and use the scan dart to highlight enemies, you get 100 points for every highlighted enemy others on your team kills - easy money.

Starfighters does take some getting used to as it is fast-paced, and again, the trick seems to be how to score lots of points early on, rather than just getting kills.

My preferred game mode for soldiers though is Blast. This is straight up 10 vs 10 TDM, no heroes, no vehicles, just infantry reinforcements (rocket trooper etc). I've yet to get into Strike - which is infantry only based and objective based game-play (kinda like CTF)

Heroes vs Villains is just carnage - 4v4 heroes only - I find it OK, but this would be a perfect mode to be playing with and against friends - the bitching and swearing on TS would be epic :D

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2018, 11:37: AM »
Some Starfighter Assault gameplay - where I don't get pwned every 10 seconds :D

For those with Origin Access - you can play this game on the play first trial for 10 hours, for free.