naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Wii U Anyone?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
Wii U Anyone?
« on: 21 December 2012, 09:51: AM »
Thoughts?

Have a Wii that my eldest enjoys, and I'm thinking of getting a Wii U next year.  Anyone got one? Played with one?

He's too young for one of the other consoles and they're a little bit more 'serious' so Wii U seems the next, natural step.

Assume you can play old Wii games?  Might keep the Wii anyway for one of their bedrooms when they get a tele in there.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
Re: Wii U Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2012, 10:21: AM »
Nah, giving it a miss but Alex is awaiting the next xbox in a years time :)
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2012, 11:03: AM »
I believe the ex has got Peter one, he will no doubt being it when he comes next Friday I will tell you what I think then.

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2012, 11:24: AM »
It looks like it carries on the Wii playability with nicer graphics etc....

With the kids being 5 and 2 I think its worth getting at some point.  Perhaps prices will drop next year too.

Offline zingle

« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2012, 01:32: PM »
xbox kinect pisses all over the wii even PS3 move is better more accurate. I would modify the wii and install loads and loads of games to a hdd the kids will never get bored and then when old enough kinect

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2012, 02:11: PM »
Not interested in it since Nintendo said they wanted to capture some of the gamers from the other platforms but then made the console with less power than the current Xbox 360.

Not to mention they have not really made any improvements on things that much.

Offline Stu038

• [NTHW] In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2012, 08:30: PM »
xbox kinect pisses all over the wii even PS3 move is better more accurate. I would modify the wii and install loads and loads of games to a hdd the kids will never get bored and then when old enough kinect

To be fair though Zing the XBox technology is several years newer

Not interested in it since Nintendo said they wanted to capture some of the gamers from the other platforms but then made the console with less power than the current Xbox 360.

Not to mention they have not really made any improvements on things that much.

Different markets really, the Wii is still really targeted at families playing corny games together but lets be honest here do you really think that anyone is going to curse a product by admitting in the prelaunch hype "we're not making this for people who think they're serious gamers" If your trying to launch a new product your going to try to make it appeal to as many people as possible.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Offline zingle

« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2012, 08:33: PM »
but why would anyone playing a console game on a tv want a hand held unit as well

Offline Tezcatlipoca

• [NTHW] Retired List
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2012, 09:14: PM »
The part of me that likes to buy new gadgets wanted one at first, but then I remembered that I hadn't played on my Wii in years... I'm passing.

Offline Stu038

• [NTHW] In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2012, 12:04: AM »
but why would anyone playing a console game on a tv want a hand held unit as well

Kids mate
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
Wii U Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2012, 07:40: AM »
Yeah, thus my interest in it.  My kid is 5 and the PS3 and Xbox are for older kids IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline zingle

« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2012, 10:47: AM »

Kids mate

but early reports are showing there is no consistency . Some games use it some games do not some games need to you use the controller and the tv making in confusing.

The kinect has plenty of games for small children I do not understand where the its more adult is coming from?

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2012, 11:38: AM »
I think it's the marketing - XBox and PS3 adverts seem to be aimed at an older audience - whereas the Wii is definitely aimed at younger children, family games, OAPs and girls. Same goes for the Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita.

No reason why you can't have young children's games on XBox kinect and PS3, and no reason why you can't have more hardcore games on Wii (and there are in both cases) - Just the Wii is marketed differently - that's all there is to it.

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
Wii U Anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2012, 01:25: PM »
Plus my boy likes the Nintendo games and characters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tezcatlipoca

• [NTHW] Retired List
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2012, 03:19: PM »
If anyone is getting one for someone for Christmas, make sure you up date it before the day itself, otherwise your kids will have great fun waiting for the massive firmware update before they can do anything...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/24/psa-upate-the-nintendo-wii-u-and-other-electronics-before-christmas-morning/