naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: PS4 Announced by Sony  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: PS4 Announced by Sony
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2013, 02:48: PM »
Photonic processors are a possible next leap in technology - working off photons rather than electrons, much less power required and supposedly virtually zero latency in switching between 0 and 1.

A few years off yet though.

Offline zingle

« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2013, 04:07: PM »
Racetrack memory is what I am waiting for

Offline Stu038

• [NTHW] In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2013, 04:11: PM »
I think that was Richard Ms view while trying to persuade us all how great world of wall paper looked.

To be fair though he had a point very few games are coded to properly use multi-core cpus, gfx cards or even monitors :( which takes us to consoles and that the growth of games for them halted some of the exciting development of games for PCs that was starting to happen and back to wondering what MS are going to do with their next console.

Who says that we don't stay on topic in threads here  8)
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2013, 04:21: PM »
Next XBox will probably come along with DirectX 12.
Current XBox 360 is DirectX 9 (iirc)

As for hardware - dunno - probably quad core processor, perhaps dual multi-core GPUs?

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2013, 05:14: PM »
Well the spec's of the PS4 and the Xbox (3) will be very similar considering AMD, is doing the development and production of CPU's and GPU's for both machines.

Rumours were that the PS4 would have a faster running processor in terms of speed, but the Xbox CPU would be faster overall due to CPU Core Count.

Not sure if the actual amount of cores has been announced for the PS4, but the rumours were that it would be a 4 Core potentially a 6 Core CPU, but that the Xbox would have a 8 Core.

Doesn't really matter though, because let's face it when it comes to AMD CPU's lately they are pathetic and overpriced if they cost more than £50 because the multi and single threaded performance of them is better only by a few % than that, of Intel Dual Core CPU's on a selected few synthetic Benchmarks that are not only cheaper but also run at lower clock speeds and use far less power and run cooler.

The only DECENT AMD GPUs, at the moment that I would even consider for a console is a AMD 7850/7950 because everything below them just performs so poorly for the power usage compared to the Nvidia cards at the same price, point it's not even funny anymore considering Nvidia were always made to look the fool with there high power high heat cards and now it's AMD doing that no one even bat's a eye lid at them.

The benchmarks are slowly coming out for the new Nvidia GTX Titan card, which is a single gpu card and it is outperforming a AMD Dual GPU card which uses 2 of AMD's current top of the line gpu's on the same PCB and that just shows how bad they are.

As for the games on the consoles, I am sorry but anyone who thinks it going to be a massive improvement is delusional because it's, not going to be any better than they currently get and also PC Game Graphics are not going to improve because the developers currently have no, idea about coding a game to work with DirectX 11 hardware except for 2 or 3 developers and only 1 of them are actually interested in developing for the pc the others, don't give a monkeys about pc gamers as evident by the clunky gameplay and poor graphic quality from there games.

These new consoles were supposed to usher in a new era for PC gamers but, looking at the specs of the consoles I have to say roll on the day when pc gamers stop buying games and hardware because only then will games actually improve on the PC.

There is also to much focus being put on trying to get a console to do stuff that they shouldn't be doing, like updating your facebook status and uploading videos to youtube, or watching live TV and recording TV on it using the inbuilt Digital TV Receiver that is rumoured also to be in the Xbox, also apparently the rumours are that the Xbox and PS4 are going to have functions in them for creating word documents etc I mean seriously WTF!!!!

A games console should be focussed on 1 thing and that is playing games not on whether it can make a brew for you or not, for updating facebook etc you use a pc or laptop/tablet.

Yet again though the developers of the consoles don't allow a Keyboard and Mouse to be used to play games with, which in this day and age is just stupid because they are alienating a shed load of potential customers because PC gamers would more than likely switch to a console, because of the lack of cheaters and the fact that they get a game and it just runs there are no issues with hardware conflicts etc.

Sorry but I hope that Valve with the Steam Box actually put some proper thought in to things and make something that will allow PC gamers to play games on it, and also attract Consoles gamers across because then we might see the end of the Playstation and Xbox and there stupid narrow minded developers who are more, interested in loading a Game Playing Machine with stupid ass gimmicks.

I mean it comes to something when 3 developers who have the Development Kit's for both the Xbox and Playstation have already said, that they will struggle to get games to run at more than 30fps on the consoles using the current engines that they use, let alone new engines which have more features in them etc.

Offline zingle

« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2013, 09:52: PM »
I never get compelled to author posts like that any more lol 

Offline zingle

« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2013, 09:56: PM »
To be fair to AMD Damien the 7990 with 2 cores does come in around £100 cheaper than the titan. You also make a big point about it being a single core well its almost twice the area of the other single core CPUs with twice the transistor count. I do not accept in the slightest that it shows how bad they are

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2013, 08:40: AM »
Being a practical sort myself, I don't really buy into benchmark tests and the like because they are a bit artificial.

If I wanted to compare 2 graphics cards, I'd have two identical machines one with each card in, and run the same game at the resolution and detail level to test it out - then I would know for sure.

Personally, I go for Intel processors and NVIDIA graphics, simply because I have not had a bad experience with them in recent years - and they just happened to be what was in the machine I was buying at the time - and that's down to overall cost and what was on offer in terms of sales and reduced to clear prices.
The only time I specifically went after an i7 and nVIDIA was with my current laptop(Novatech), which I think was a bargain at £1300, when most of the other competitor (alienware and few others) machines of similar spec started at around £1700
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 08:51: AM by Stormpr00ter »

Offline zingle

« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2013, 09:56: AM »
I have no brand loyalty at all.

Intel have the most powerful CPUs but you pay for them I just find AMD have a better cost to performance ratio than Nvidia and I have found the benchmarks show that 1 card is good on one game the other better on another so I have a budget and see what I can afford. In real world computing you hardly notice the difference between CPUs and GPUs most times the only way you would know is if you have a bloody annoying framerate clock ticking away in the corner.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2013, 10:53: AM »
Are you using an AMD CPU chip?
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline zingle

« Reply #30 on: 22 February 2013, 12:12: PM »
I am not because cost was irrelevant when I was building but I have used in other builds

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #31 on: 02 October 2013, 03:26: PM »
So, I'm going to pre-order a PS4 for Alex. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should get it from? I'm thinking directly from Sony but I'm open to suggestions.
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #32 on: 02 October 2013, 03:48: PM »
Find the place that is offering the best bundle and get it from there.

Not looked at it myself as I will get one next year if I decide to get one.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 02 October 2013, 04:05: PM »
Find the place that is offering the best bundle and get it from there.

What Damien said - oftentimes the best value packages can be found in places like Tesco and Asda - but you need to keep an eye out as the deals rarely last long.