naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Happy Birthday madonion_uk
« Last post by madonion_uk on 18 August 2017, 04:45: PM »
Cheers Guys :tu:
Had a 6am start at work, then a relaxing evening, and then another 6am start :)
Computer Gaming / Re: PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds
« Last post by damien c on 18 August 2017, 03:05: PM »
No still need a a duo.
« Last post by bopdude on 18 August 2017, 03:04: PM »
Nice one, dinner across all 3 platforms now ?
« Last post by damien c on 18 August 2017, 02:54: PM »
I WIN I WIN I WIN  :D :D :D :D

Tech Zone / Re: New PC required
« Last post by bopdude on 18 August 2017, 09:24: AM »
My kit is 6 years old - so does not owe me anything and needs replaced

AMD FX - 6100
16Gb RAM
Radeon R9 280

TIA

IMPz

Out of interest only, do you know what FPS you're getting in PUBG on this ?
General Discussion / Re: Happy Birthday madonion_uk
« Last post by Klinsman on 17 August 2017, 08:06: PM »
Happy birthday Mate.
« Last post by damien c on 17 August 2017, 12:06: PM »
Cooling wise if you have a decent after market cooler you will be fine, it's just whilst my temps are fine and acceptable I am personally not happy with them.

I5 Vs I7 is a debate that will run for a long time, currently games tend to favour higher cpu core speed that core count, but the games are now starting to use more and more cpu cores.

The Division uses all 8 threads on my cpu and total cpu usage is in the 90% mark, IIRC Battlefield used around 80% on a I7 and PUBG uses around 60% of my cpu, so games are becoming more core/thread count dependant not just core speed.

500Gb SSD would be best however again dependant on what games you want to play etc pretty soon a 1Tb is going to be a minimum since games now are getting well over 100Gb in size.
« Last post by MovedGoalPosts on 17 August 2017, 11:49: AM »
There is a downside to every cpu on the market at the moment.

AMD have stability, Power and Memory Issues.

Intel have Heat and Power issues on the X299 platform, whilst on the Z270 platform they have Heat and PCI-E lane issues.

I have a 7700k currently cooled by a Noctua NH-D15, and it is barely cooling it at stock speed, I am going to be spending around £45 soon to buy a tool to De-Lid it, basically taking the IHS the silver part of the cpu that touches the heatsink/waterblock off the cpu and changing the thermal paste under it that touches the die, to some Coolaboratory Liquid Pro, and I will see around a 20c drop in temps per core so I will go from around 80C per core to around 60c per core, but in doing so will void the warranty on the cpu.

Presumably you have seen this : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-hs-003-dr.html

But I know you aren't an Overclockers fan.

But for those mere mortals of us will we really notice that the cooling of a CPU, run at stock speeds, isn't perfect, provided we have a decent aftermarket cooler, especially if you fit one of those AIO types you suggest above?

The other question, at least reverting to Impz's budget and needs, is whether an i5, rather than i7 CPU would be a better fit.  After all it sounds like this is a general use gaming PC, rather than something needing a lot of mutithread grunt.  That would then allow the GPU to be as good as possible to power those 1440p monitors.  I suspect the 1070 will be the sweet spot on pricing.  For an all round PC the 1080Ti would be overkill, and above budget (although this week only OcUK have a good deal on a Gigabyte: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080ti-gaming-oc-black-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19h-gi.html) a 1080 might be OK but still pricey.

Not clear from the original specs posted as to what disks Impz has at present.  Yes the new PC needs a decent capacity SSD, 256GB must be a minimum, and I would be looking at 500GB, after all who wants to be messing about moving games from a slow HDD, to SSD just because you feel like playing a different version of something, and they are all getting quite bloated with the added maps.  If Impz has a decent SSD or HDD in the current PC, move that over as a secondary drive, but get a good SSD capacity now with the new PC.
« Last post by damien c on 17 August 2017, 10:52: AM »
There is a downside to every cpu on the market at the moment.

AMD have stability, Power and Memory Issues.

Intel have Heat and Power issues on the X299 platform, whilst on the Z270 platform they have Heat and PCI-E lane issues.

I have a 7700k currently cooled by a Noctua NH-D15, and it is barely cooling it at stock speed, I am going to be spending around £45 soon to buy a tool to De-Lid it, basically taking the IHS the silver part of the cpu that touches the heatsink/waterblock off the cpu and changing the thermal paste under it that touches the die, to some Coolaboratory Liquid Pro, and I will see around a 20c drop in temps per core so I will go from around 80C per core to around 60c per core, but in doing so will void the warranty on the cpu.
« Last post by damien c on 17 August 2017, 10:46: AM »
Should do although you might need to phone Microsoft to activate, I had a issue the other day when I got a board, chip and ram that Windows wouldn't activate using the Windows 10 Key, so I threw in the Windows 8.0 key and it activated no problem.

The problem is buying a whole new pc with everything and wanting either a GTX1070 or GTX1080 with hdd/ssd is going to be around £1600 to £1800 if you go Intel, if you go AMD it's about the same.

That build above with the hdd/ssd, wifi and windows left in is £1734, practically the same build buy with AMD is £1688, the AMD system will be slightly faster at video and photo work but slightly slower in gaming, but also requires almost weekly check's to see if a Ageasa software or firmware update is available and installaing, to get better performance and stability from it.

Also for Zen you need really to be running 3200Mhz ram to get the full speed from the cpu anything less and you are loosing cpu performance granted it's only around 5% to 10% but this is the issue currently facing those who use it, as getting 3200Mhz to work is a PITA for most.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10