naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: New Graphic card  (Read 4174 times)

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
New Graphic card
« on: 22 November 2014, 09:52: PM »
Hi Guys,

A little advice please

is this good value - as a mean Scotsman I'm reluctant to spend much more than £150   :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/663138-msi-r9-280-gaming-3gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-displayport-pci-e-r9-280-gaming-3g

From reviews it will play BF4 on Ultra @1080 so that all I would need it for - it will be replacing my MSI 560 Ti

Good?,  bad? or what else is out there

TIA

IMPz

Offline Gottu

• [NTHW] Clan
Re: New Graphic card
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2014, 10:18: PM »
I got this one a while back (yes I know it's £200 but it never goes above 70c on full load and is really quiet)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-power-color-amd-radeon-r9-280x-oc-6000mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-boost-1030mhz-2048-streams-dport-dvi-

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2014, 10:29: PM »
Radeon........*shudders*
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Bill C

• Internet now downloaded, whats next :)
  • [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2014, 10:40: PM »
Radeon........*shudders*

Nothing wrong with my R9280x

If Infantry is the Queen of Battle, then armour is the chastity belt that keeps the bitch from getting raped !

Offline madonion_uk

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2014, 10:47: PM »
looks a fairly good value card imo
>> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_r9_280_iceq_x2_review,16.html <<
for a nvidia card below £150, you've be looking a a gtx 760, which is slightly slower, but will probably only have 2Gb memory
the best 'bang for buck' card atm is the nvidia gtx970, but that would be over your budget by around £100
the gtx 960 is rumoured to be coming out either before, or after christmas and I'd guess would be in the 140-180 price range.
Also if you do change from Nvidia to Radeon, make sure you run a driver sweeper to get rid of all parts of the old drivers.
Better to be a minute late in this world than a minute early in the next....

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2014, 11:53: PM »
Radeon........*shudders*

You need to justify that comment.  Nothing wrong with AMD for graphics cards.   Often they can be better value and run cooler (less power) than nvidia stuff.

MSI are a reasobable brand for GPU so no issues there.  It also seems to be a nice price for that class of card.

It's a bit of an older article, but still gives an idea of the performance you could get: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_4_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark,7.html
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2014, 12:19: AM »
AMD CPU's , then yes I agree with Rammy's Shudder!! But their GPU stuff is more than capable

Offline zingle

« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2014, 10:34: AM »
Nothing wrong with AMD CPUs or GPUs there is no room for fanboys. Both AMD Intel and Nvidia  are all capitalists and after your money and should all be hated and not loved ;)

It is all about bang for buck at certain price points and AMD offers value for money specially at the low end where Intel clearly does not

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2014, 10:37: AM »
The R9 280X is actually not a new card it's just a AMD 7970 re badged to fit in with the new naming scheme that AMD are using with the whole "R" series of cards.

The R9 280x is a very good card, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one for my dad and most of you know I stick to Nvidia at the moment because for me AMD are not worth considering, but for someone on a budget the R9 280x would be what I would recommend unless you can wait for the "Black Friday" sales coming up and see if you can grab a GTX780.

Avoid the R9 290 or R9 290x as they are just power hungry and hot running monsters that should only be considered if you are going to watercool it.

Rumors are that the GTX960 is coming next month with 2,3 or 4Gb of Vram and will pretty much be the same as the GTX770 currently in terms of performance but with much lower power consumption, which is one of the main benefits of the Maxwell GPU's.

AMD are rumoured to be launching the 300 series of cards around March next year, although no one seems to know what architecture they are using and whether they are going to run hot, noisy and require a nuclear power plant to power them.

Gone are the days of AMD being better than Nvidia on power, heat and noise as AMD are using nearly double the power that Nvidia's cards use since the 700 series launched.

AMD's drivers are still bad though, but there cards as long as you avoid the 290 cards are pretty good and shouldn't be overlooked by anyone needing to replace there card with something that, doesn't cost over £200.

If you can stretch to £250 then the GTX970 is the card to get as it performs nearly as good as the GTX780ti whilst running cooler and using less than half the amount of power.

In case you missed yes the R9 280X is getting a  :tu: from me as a card to buy!

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2014, 10:41: AM »
Nothing wrong with AMD CPUs or GPUs there is no room for fanboys. Both AMD Intel and Nvidia  are all capitalists and after your money and should all be hated and not loved ;)

It is all about bang for buck at certain price points and AMD offers value for money specially at the low end where Intel clearly does not

AMD cpu's are good in multi-threaded app's but on single threaded app's they still lag quite abit behind Intel, however from what AMD have said there new architecture due for release in either late 2015 or early 2016 could see that change.

Hopefully AMD do start to compete at the top end again as it will force prices down and performance up.

Offline zingle

« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2014, 11:38: AM »
It is all relative

My computer years older than yours and I am sure a lot "slower" than yours . However I have set up in such a way that my workload will run faster on my machine than yours. Your machine most likely cost over twice the price of mine and 4 times the price of a machine built around AMD that will perform perfectly fast enough for 90% of the market

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2014, 07:22: PM »
Fight! Fight!  :angel:
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Bill C

• Internet now downloaded, whats next :)
  • [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2014, 06:25: AM »

A fight between 2 people that know what there talking about  ;)  :notworthy:

Think i best run away now before Rammy gets his pain giver out .  :rofl:

If Infantry is the Queen of Battle, then armour is the chastity belt that keeps the bitch from getting raped !

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2014, 07:55: AM »

There won't be any fight, there is no point to it as Zing has some good points.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2014, 08:02: AM »
Only real issue I ever had with AMD (previously ATI) was the drivers and software, and that's going back over 10 years ago.
Started using the Intel/NVIDIA combo on my first power laptop back in 2005 (when I made the switch from desktop to laptop - HP Pavillion dv6 - nice machine for it's time), and it worked really well with no problems, no re-installs - i.e. without a hitch and have not looked back since.
Only game that causes problems is Battlefield 4  :td:

May look to AMD CPU & GPU combo on my next purchase (in about 2-3 years)

Offline zingle

« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2014, 10:47: AM »

There won't be any fight, there is no point to it as Zing has some good points.

:tu:

Offline Scary

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Boo scared ya
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2014, 03:23: PM »
i had the 5770 vaper and it was awsome, i dont have a problem with them.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2014, 03:54: PM »
i had the 5770 vaper and it was awsome, i dont have a problem with them.

Still got one of those sitting on a shelf somewhere.  I recall someone in the clan acquiring the other off me.  Early BF3 was a little iffy with some weird fine dashed lines around edges of water, but that got resolved in some patch so dunno if it was actually AMD or DICE :shrug:

Interesting that this thread started as a discussion on the AMD R9 280.  Damien instead pushes the uprated R9 280X.  At least one site is suggesting the R9 280 is the card to go for at the price point:  http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32899-4.html 
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline zingle

« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2014, 05:47: PM »
I have run AMD GFX cards without issue all along. I currently run a 7970 and am unlikely to change. When I have been buying cards for myself AMD have offered the best value / performance ratio available at these times. I do not have any issue with Nvidia and have over the years had plenty of different models my first a PCI Geforce 2

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #19 on: 24 November 2014, 05:51: PM »
Didn't read the link properly, forgot AMD released a R9 280 which is in some cases slower than the one it replaced  :rofl: