naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner
GotW™ : Call of Duty 4

Author Topic: Android Box & Kodi Problem  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Android Box & Kodi Problem
« on: 08 March 2017, 08:16: AM »
Hoping some of you guys may know something about this stuff - I seem to recall Zingle & Bop having a bit of knowledge...

A friend of mine has an Andriod box (Emish x700) and was happily using Kodi up until a month or so ago, when it just "dissapeared" from his apps, and now he can't re-install it, the installation fails with "failed to parse package" message.

Is there anything relatively simple (he's not really techy) that can be done, or does he need to take it back to the guy he got it from to get it sorted?

Thanks in advance

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Android Box & Kodi Problem
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2017, 08:51: AM »
Zing's the man to talk to really, can your mate view the box from his pc>network connections, if so he should be able to install a fresh copy of Zingle's build ?

Offline zingle

« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2017, 11:43: AM »
The reason it is refusing to install will be he is trying to install Krypton and the box most likely doesnt come up to spec. He will need to install from the older versions and install Jarvis :)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2017, 12:10: PM »
The reason it is refusing to install will be he is trying to install Krypton and the box most likely doesnt come up to spec. He will need to install from the older versions and install Jarvis :)

From what I saw, I think it was Jarvis (or a previous version) on there before - but it "dissapeared" - is this likely due to an automatic update attempt failing? Can automatic updates to Kodi be disabled? Is the best approach to get the box OS updated?

Thanks

Offline zingle

« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2017, 12:40: PM »
If the box is below Android 5.1 then Kodi wont update as there has not been an update for Jarvis for ages like over a year. Krypton will not run on android below 5. The OS of the box may have updated but then again that should not have wiped an app off it. I am guessing some kind of user error. But Jarvis will need to be installed :)

Offline zingle

« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2017, 12:41: PM »
You will need to install Kodi direct from the Kodi downloads it will not auto update then

Offline zingle

« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2017, 12:42: PM »
EMISH X700 TV Box Android 4.4 RK3128

Android 4.4 and a Rockchip cpu so as suspected the parse error is due to attempted installation if Krypton

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2017, 12:47: PM »
Thanks Zing - all good information - I have enough now to get things sorted  :tu:

As for user error - I think you are right, the guy is not techy at all and may have inadvertently done something to either try to update Kodi, or something else which uninstalled it. Getting a straight answer on that is difficult though - as with many users, they always claim "I didn't do anything, it just broke" :)

Offline zingle

« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2017, 01:07: PM »
yeah if I had a tenner every time I heard that lol

Offline Scary

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Boo scared ya
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2017, 11:00: AM »
its now illegal to stream premier league football games on Kodi.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2017, 11:23: AM »

Anyone who thinks premier league football is any good, deserves to be locked up anyway! :D

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2017, 11:37: AM »

It's never been legal (you're always supposed to have used a proper subscribed service to sky, BT, etc), just that very recently the powers that be have gained even more ways of dealing with it.  Albeit it's still very much "whack a mole" for those powers.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2017, 11:41: AM »

It's never been legal (you're always supposed to have used a proper subscribed service to sky, BT, etc), just that very recently the powers that be have gained even more ways of dealing with it.  Albeit it's still very much "whack a mole" for those powers.

I just watch Match of the Day - you get all the best bits condensed into 1 hour, and it's no extra cost (just the license fee for the bbc)

Offline zingle

« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2017, 01:24: PM »

Is it? I thought they have just passed a ruling that allows them to block servers rather than links meaning it will be harder to acquire the streams

The end user streaming on Kodi is not breaking any law at present as there is not a download as such due to the data only living in ram and not stored.

It has always been illegal for places like pubs to show Football streamed without correct licences

It is all a grey area in law at present that may change. Kodi isnt even to blame as everything on kodi is available outside of kodi unless hosted by kodi devs. Kodi is actually an innocent media player. For example hordes of IPTV lists are leaked daily that work quite happily on VLC player. Google has a search for open directories that can find thousands of movies
« Last Edit: 09 March 2017, 01:27: PM by zingle »

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2017, 06:38: PM »
Update:

Managed to get Jarvis installed, and followed som instructions to get fusion then installed into Kodi.
Experienced a lot of app freezing and black screen of nothing, and every time Kodi launches it says "running for the first time".

I'm guessing that this is one of four things:
1. It needs time to "settle" and do stuff
2. Not enough free space on the Android box for stuff
3. Installation is borked
4. Problem with storage device on Android box

Anyway, I've told the guy to just leave it alone for a few hours, then restart the Android box have a look later tonight or tomorrow.

Offline zingle

« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2017, 10:29: PM »
Sounds like it is dying a death. It is also getting on a bit may well be worth investing in a new box

Offline zingle

« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2017, 10:29: PM »
or maybe try a hard reset first

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2017, 09:53: AM »
Thanks Zingle,

I'll advise him to take it back to the chap who he got it from to get it sorted.

Cheers

Offline zingle

« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2017, 11:12: AM »
how longs he had it cuz its old

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2017, 11:50: AM »
how longs he had it cuz its old