naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Wipe Hard Disk - Hidden Partitions  (Read 924 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Wipe Hard Disk - Hidden Partitions
« on: 17 March 2017, 02:32: AM »
So I'm trying to completely clean a Hard Drive.  It's a 1 TB 2.5" thing that I've mounted in a USB caddy.

The drive would originally have been a system drive.  So there are lots of "hidden" partitions for recovery type stuff that only show up in Windows 10 disk manager. But disk manager won't touch these.  You can't delete / format or whatever those partitions.

So how do I completely blank the HDD so I can then set the new partition sizes I want?  Cost free solutions please.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Wipe Hard Disk - Hidden Partitions
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2017, 07:59: AM »
Hiren's boot CD has the option iirc

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2017, 08:16: AM »
I've used this one before - it's free :D

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2017, 09:03: AM »
Out of interest, Disk Management in Computer Management in Windows does not show the hidden partitions in question?

I'm guessing you've already checked, but have to ask anyway - screenie of mine attached for reference.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2017, 09:20: AM »
Windows disk manager shows the partitions.  You just can't do anything with them.  Really dumb as it was a system disk, that appears to have had extra hidden system partitions added from upgrades such as windows 8 to 10.  Now I just wanted to clean the disk entirely so I can use it as an image backup.  But with all those hidden partitions, windows image thingy keeps getting very confused.

Yes I know I could image with something like Acronis, but this is a lappy I'm trying to clean out for someone else and I just want a simple solution so they could wipe and reset.  As there is only now a small SSD in the lappy I didn't want lots of that filled with the original manufacturer's restore segments that ate a third of the SSD when I cloned the whole thing in Acronis.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2017, 10:30: AM »
Windows disk manager shows the partitions.  You just can't do anything with them.  Really dumb as it was a system disk, that appears to have had extra hidden system partitions added from upgrades such as windows 8 to 10.  Now I just wanted to clean the disk entirely so I can use it as an image backup.  But with all those hidden partitions, windows image thingy keeps getting very confused.

Yes I know I could image with something like Acronis, but this is a lappy I'm trying to clean out for someone else and I just want a simple solution so they could wipe and reset.  As there is only now a small SSD in the lappy I didn't want lots of that filled with the original manufacturer's restore segments that ate a third of the SSD when I cloned the whole thing in Acronis.

The EaseUS thing should do the trick for you.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2017, 10:41: AM »
Thanks the ErasUS thing works - albeit that Avast went absolutely nuts at all the malware embedded in the download :(

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2017, 11:20: AM »
Thanks the ErasUS thing works - albeit that Avast went absolutely nuts at all the malware embedded in the download :(

Oh dear, I think because it's a free version there will be a load of stuff nagging you to "upgrade" to the paid version. I last installed it about 2 years ago, and for that version I did not have the malware problem.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2017, 02:11: PM »
Difference between malware I.e. Virus and crapware the latter being a pain in the rear with stuff you don't want but at least it don't cause damage.  There was both :(  But it did solve the problem :tu:

Offline zingle

« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2017, 10:17: PM »
dban but you would want to run it in a spare machine . Or force the partition into one by booting from a windows installer cd/dvd and deleting all partitions and make a new one and run ccleaner or eraser to clean the empty disk in windows

Offline zingle

« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2017, 10:18: PM »
MGP what the feck you doing with disk 2?? lol

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2017, 11:19: PM »
MGP what the feck you doing with disk 2?? lol

Disk 2 is the one I was trying (and at that point failing) to clear as apart from that 900GB bit, nothing else was getting touched by windows