naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner
GotW™ : Call of Duty 4

Author Topic: COD WW2  (Read 1757 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: COD WW2
« Reply #20 on: 30 September 2017, 09:58: AM »
So played it a bit last night.  The beta is the multiplayer.  Tried both TDM and War modes.  As Bop says it plays fast but then I think many of us have become used to a more tactical gaming style.

The big but is it has kill streak perks, artillery and airstrikes were the most obvious, and that is enough to confirm I don't want it.

Most of the gaming itself felt fluid.  I could see enemies (do you hear me EA/Dice with BF1).  Graphics were OK, but nothing to get overly excited about.  Clearly the more you play the game the more you will unlock in weapon and player class options.  Although WWII, I suspect most of the maps are fictional, or at least those in the beta, don't appear to be the classic WWII battlegrounds.

I think the War game mode could become stale quite quickly.  It's a sort of Battlefield Rush mode that there are a series of objectives, but they must be done in order before defenders fall back and attackers can move to the next one.  The problem is the objectives will be in the same place each time and once players get to know maps those pinch points are likely to be very tedious to defend, especially a bridge rebuild where you have to be in quite open ground, with defenders in buildings above.  But at least they have tried to do something and maybe it will work better with different maps other than the one they use for the beta.

But the biggest problems were with the various game selection and settings menus.  End of game is seemed to take ages before and score data appeared by which time you'd need to be already trying to escape back to a lobby area if you didn't want to be playing the next round.  And getting between lobbies or different settings areas went through so many different levels of back and forth and often circular systems it seemed impossible to get out of.  As for shutting down CoD completely, in a proper manner, I was about the give it the three fingered salute as the exit game option just didn't want to be present.

The beta only runs until 2nd October, it's available to all via Steam, so you might as well give it a go when it costs nothing.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Scary

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Boo scared ya
« Reply #21 on: 30 September 2017, 02:35: PM »
I was really enjoying this. great fun run around shooting shit. then today hackers hackers hackers. I aint getting this crap if its going to be a P2P. if it was dedi servers i would buy it in a heart beat. Im gonna stick with pubg. dedi servers modding everything the clan has been after for years. im done with cod and bf

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #22 on: 07 November 2017, 03:15: PM »
So for those playing this, what's the story, good bad indifferent ? can you squad up with mates etc or is it random, I have a lot of loot from PUBG that is rising in value and I'm looking at 'maybe' selling some off to buy a game, if there are enough playing this then maybe it's a contender.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 07 November 2017, 04:02: PM »
So for those playing this, what's the story, good bad indifferent ? can you squad up with mates etc or is it random, I have a lot of loot from PUBG that is rising in value and I'm looking at 'maybe' selling some off to buy a game, if there are enough playing this then maybe it's a contender.

Only played a bit of the SP campaign so far, not played online multiplayer yet.
TLDR;
No crosshair, you must aim down sights
No "auto-heal" when in cover long enough, you must collect medkits and actively press a key to use them, there is a maximum number you can carry at one time (I think it's 4)
Story seems good so far, action is good (driven a jeep, been the .30 cal gunner on the jeep, also get to shoot down Stukas with an AA gun). FPS side of things seems to play well enough. Graphics are good, sound is good, music is good.

Have noticed there's a "local play" feature, which allows for setting up of private LAN games of multiplayer and zombies (not dedi server, one player is the host) - intend to test out when not connected to the internet to set up a game against bots later today.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #24 on: 07 November 2017, 04:06: PM »
Hmmmm, it's more the multi player side I'm looking at, thanks for the input though :)  anyone else want to mention anything about the multi side of things ?

TIA

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2017, 09:04: AM »
Storm might be one of the very few of us who has bought the game?  CoD unfortunately in multiplayer has been ruined years ago by all the kill streak stuff, that unbalances the game in favour of the good players, hence they won't get my money.  I'll try betas and that did look OK, but the perks still wrecked it.  That's why I would hold out for Battalion 1944, albeit that is now taking much longer to develop, and has "gone dark" after some initial NDA testing.

If I were going to buy any game launched this autumn it would be Battlefront II which from the beta did at least seem a bit more balanced.  Even that would have problems as the kill streak points still added up to "invincible" characters that would be available to only the really good.

Since you guys are still playing it almost exclusively I'd stay with your Player Unknown thingy.  Meanwhile I'm back to World of Warships ;)

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2017, 09:19: AM »
Storm might be one of the very few of us who has bought the game?  CoD unfortunately in multiplayer has been ruined years ago by all the kill streak stuff, that unbalances the game in favour of the good players, hence they won't get my money.  I'll try betas and that did look OK, but the perks still wrecked it.  That's why I would hold out for Battalion 1944, albeit that is now taking much longer to develop, and has "gone dark" after some initial NDA testing.

If I were going to buy any game launched this autumn it would be Battlefront II which from the beta did at least seem a bit more balanced.  Even that would have problems as the kill streak points still added up to "invincible" characters that would be available to only the really good.

Since you guys are still playing it almost exclusively I'd stay with your Player Unknown thingy.  Meanwhile I'm back to World of Warships ;)

Thanks for the input MGP, as for PUBG, I really hope that servers are available soon after release, it is a great game IMHO and 1 I think could be played as a clan game if the hype proves correct about the server side of things.

Offline Pabs87

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2017, 09:43: AM »
Meanwhile I'm back to World of Warships ;)

What tier are you on Warships as I could join you at some point if you want? Granted I'm only tier 5 as my highest though :/

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2017, 10:16: AM »
Had a look at "local play" multiplayer last night (So I was getting owned by bots :( )
The game does have a hardcore mode (switch off crosshair, no health regen) - but normal mode does have crosshair & auto-heal.
The map I tried was good (some german AA gun emplacement), and the gameplay is snappy and fast-paced (as you would expect from CoD), but as MGP feared, the killstreaks are ridiculous. I was using Recon Plane (radar), precision bomb (predator missile from MW3) and Artillery Strike (air strike from MW), but there are a huge amount more to choose from (I think about 24, or maybe more)

TLDR; No dedi servers and mad-arse killstreaks, so probably not recommended for most here.

SP campaign is good though :)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2017, 10:21: AM »

I'll have my hands on that tomorrow - anyone here who has the Origin Access subscription will also be able to get it tomorrow for a 10 hour trial (that's 10 hours of total game play, not elapsed time from downloading it ;)).
Again, I'm really looking at it from a SP or private match/co-op PoV, DICE have claimed to have done some further balancing for the MP, but we will have to wait and see. I'm most looking forward to the SP campaign and the starfighter battles.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2017, 11:32: AM »
Meanwhile I'm back to World of Warships ;)

What tier are you on Warships as I could join you at some point if you want? Granted I'm only tier 5 as my highest though :/
I have ships from level IV to VII.  They all seem to sink regularly.  Not quite sure how you team up to play with others, I'm always a loner :shrug:

Offline Pabs87

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2017, 04:41: PM »
I can't quite remember tbh but I think there's a button near the top of the screen when you are in your port to create a division. Let me know if you fancy a game at some point and we can figure something out

Offline Klinsman

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2017, 10:55: PM »
I bought it and like it.