naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Upgrade time, maybe...  (Read 447 times)

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
Upgrade time, maybe...
« on: 20 December 2017, 09:31: PM »
I've been out of the game for a while now so lost track of whats hot and whats not recently.

So, I reckon I'm going to start noticing my PC isn't going to be keeping up with games. It's been great up to now, but running PUBG at Ultra is dragging frame rates down to 40ish. That can only get worse with newer games being released demanding better hardware. So, as is the eternal question, what do i upgrade first? My gut says new GFX card. I specced up a full new build and it was coming in at around 2.5k with a single 1080Ti.

Currently have:

I7 4770K
ASUS Sabretooth Z87
EVGA GTX970
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Silver 2133
+SSD and HDD, Creative Soundcard

Your thoughts?

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
Re: Upgrade time, maybe...
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2017, 09:51: PM »
I'll ask - cause you know they are going to - budget and self build or prebuilt?  ;D ;D

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2017, 09:54: PM »
Self build.
Budget will depend really, I really only think the thing that needs to be upgraded is the GPU. If i do do a full self build it'll be 2.5k tops inc monitor and peripherals as I'll let my kids keep this one that I'm using right now

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2017, 09:48: AM »
GPU first, your cpu is fine.

1080Ti would be the best bet since, but if you don't want to stretch to that then a 1080.

For the cpu you could de-lid it, replace the crap tim with some liquid pro and then overclock it dependant on cooler and if you would want to de-lid it, that would add some life to it, but really you won't notice a increase of more than 5fps if you did that or even upgraded to a 7700k, 8700k, 1700, 1800x.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2017, 04:01: PM »
Whether an upgrade is worthwhile might depend on the screen resolution.  Unless you are going to 4K or perhaps even 1440p resolutions the 1080Ti could be overkill.  970 is still a good card and I'd suspect more of the poor performance in PUBG is due to it's lack of optimisation, and perhaps poor drivers?  Would a 1070Ti suffice?

And I would be in less rush to upgrade the CPU, which then means changing motherboard and RAM, the latter of which is now stupidly pricey.  Unless there is some weirdness in your motherboard limiting the bandwidth to something, or you do something other than games that does a lot of grunt, that CPU combo should have at least another year in it before that becomes a weakness holding something back.

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pubg-settings/  may help you choose.  It's from May this year so I'd hope changes in game may have made things a bit better than some of those figures.  But overall the table shows how poor PUBG really is and I wouldn't be upgrading my PC on the strength of PUBG needs alone.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2017, 08:55: PM »
Yep. I've got pretty much your spec but have a 980Ti and have everything on ultra on PUBG. I don't know my fps and don't care as it all looks fine in game.
Upgrade your GPU if you feel the need but leave the full build for another year or three.
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2017, 05:23: PM »
I guess a 1080ti is good for 4k now?

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2017, 05:33: PM »
I guess a 1080ti is good for 4k now?

My straight 980 does 1440p at steady a 60FPS with most settings on most games set to ultra or just below and running 2 monitors, so yes IMHO - but mileage will vary from game to game.
It does 1080p (on the native laptop monitor which is NVIDIA G-SYNC) at 75FPS with everything turned up to 11.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2017, 07:43: PM »
1080Ti will do 4K quite decently.