naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner
GotW™ : Call of Duty 4

Author Topic: Maplin closing down 70% off  (Read 363 times)

Offline Vantage

• [NTHW] Clan
    • Rollup rollup get your print ere.
Maplin closing down 70% off
« on: 04 April 2018, 11:23: PM »
Its sad but true. Maplin is closing down. I myself didn't buy much from them as they were expensive compared to other retailers but it is sad to see another highstreet retailer bit the dust.

There's 70% off some items in their closing down sale. (prices online already shows discounted price)

https://www.maplin.co.uk/
Who the fuck where the fuck what the fuck.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: Maplin closing down 70% off
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2018, 06:43: AM »
Yep Maplin were always vulnerable to the internet as so much of what they sold was available far cheaper online, even with P&P.  only the smallest of items were sensible buys in store.  Some pricing was crazy, perhaps due to posh packaging, like over a tenner for a patch lead that online you'd get for a couple of quid.  And their bigger items, such as say a graphics card was always too limited in range, to even be worth looking at, even if you did have an "emergency" need.  Having said that I did find them to be good for a small electronic components suitable for repairs and adaptations of stuff.   It might be a case of sort of browsing in the shop for ideas on how you might do something before you then disappeared online to find the thing you really needed to solve that task.  But that type of market was never going to sustain high street stores at high street rents.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2018, 06:47: AM »
Yeah pretty much the same, the odd gem, the tool sets were ok iirc, might have to browse to see what there is ;)

Shame though :(

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2018, 08:58: AM »
Not surprising in the slightest to be honest, they sold stuff that most of the general public don't need or want and what they did sell that some might be interested in, was stupidly more expensive that other companies such as PC World etc.

I had a look the other day at some of the stuff they are selling, and even with discount's it's still more expensive than at other companies with stores let alone the likes of Amazon.