naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner
GotW™ : Call of Duty 4

Author Topic: Steam games on a different HDD / SSD  (Read 6433 times)

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
Steam games on a different HDD / SSD
« on: 26 March 2011, 04:43: PM »
I can't take the credit for this one (thank you dutchie).

But he found this for me...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11595084&postcount=11

Which is great.

One thing to note the example in the post is missing quotes and should read like this...

mklink /J "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv" "E:\Games\sid meier's civilization iv"

So if you give it a go remember the quotes.

I have only tried it with a small game osmos for now, but that worked ok and I am going to try a bigger game tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: 05 April 2011, 01:12: PM by dilli-theclaw »

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Steam games on a different HDD / SSD
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2011, 04:50: PM »
Interesting, sort of ties in with a question I was gonna pose, if you don't mind I'll highjack your thread :D I've heard f problems 'moving' games folders from one drive to another, likewise, when installing some games you don't get any choice other than 'C' am I missing something or is there a way around it, I want to get an SSD as my 'C' and keep all games on 'D'

TIA

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2011, 04:52: PM »
This makes the computer 'think' the game is still on the c: drive.

It's like a redirecting command.

Which is why it's great for steam.

I assume you could use it on another game that you installed somewhere else, but not tried that.

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2011, 07:32: PM »
so it worked dilli

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2011, 07:33: PM »
Well I tested on a really small steam game (osmos) I had and it was fine.  I am going to loeave wings of prey and alien v predator running tonight and see if I can do it to those tomorrow.

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2011, 01:13: PM »
Ive done this with a few steam games now and it seems to work fine.

I think it's very useful so I've (I hope ;)) stickied it.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2011, 01:15: PM »
Nice one mate, going to try this later on myself, any difference in speed that's noticable ??

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2011, 01:23: PM »
Yup - but then that's 'cos the game (that is moved) isn't running off the ssd.

I only have the clan games on the SSD - everything else in on another drive.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2011, 02:49: PM »
Yup - but then that's 'cos the game (that is moved) isn't running off the ssd.

I only have the clan games on the SSD - everything else in on another drive.

I see, cheers.

Offline Klinsman

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 07:01: PM »
Ok, as you know it takesz me an age to load from map to map, would an SSD speed things up? and which make/model should i consider?
And as ever please keep it simples as am Orish! ta.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2012, 07:49: PM »
An SSD will speed things considerably, but it will also depend on your overall PC setup.  The game, and particularly the map files, along with anything else that needs to be accessed from disc fast must be on the SSD.

As for choice of SSD a lot will depend on your PC's motherboard.  I use a SATA III connection.  I would not recommend a SATA II connection would be worthwhile.   There are now some SSDs that will wirk with PCIe connections but, I'd suggest they are very expensive and whether you'd get adequate performance for your money may depend on how your motherboard is configured for bandwidth (remember the aggro I had getting crossfire to work as some slots did not work at high speed) For the loading side of things you are interested in the read speed, rather than write, but to be honest I'd also be looking at a SSD with decent write times.

I would suggest that if you need a SSD that can handle a couple of games plus the Windows OS you want something at least 120GB.

Note there are some motherboards that claim to use a small SSD (30GB ish) to act more as a large cache which improves loading stuff, but that is specific for the motherboard.

For myself I've been happy with the OCZ vertex.  But that is now a few months old and there may be better options, especially for the controller cards in the SSD.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline zingle

« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2012, 08:01: PM »
MGP where you getting your knowlegde from all of a sudden? lmao

Some Sata II SSDs perform Better than some Sata III SSDs in large file performance. Also some drives with slower reported speeds actually perform faster than perform drives that sometimes have peak speeds twice that of the "slower "drive

What is important is consistent read speeds because if its your OS drive once you have installed it and set it up you will not be writing much to it. Make sure you disable indexing and prefetch as well as superprefetch but do not worry about your page file anymore as these drives all things equal should last for ages without also reclaim the space stolen by hiberfil.sys if you do not use hibernation as this swallows up 3 quarters the size of your ram on disk

Also make sure your chosen drive has no reported firmware issues and if it does update it before you install windows to it

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2012, 07:28: AM »
Klins

I am using a Corsair Force 3 Sata 3 drive, which can be got for around £110 from Scan.

That drive will work fine on a Sata 2 connection and still be very fast, although until you upgrade to a Sata 3 connection it won't give you the full speed.

I have Window's and Battlefield 3 on my ssd, and from pressing the power button it takes around 25 seconds to get in to windows, and when I am playing Battlefield 3 it takes anything from 10 to 25 seconds to load the map but that depends on how big it is and how many players are on it etc.

You can go for a motherboard now that will use a MSata connection which is for a SSD to fit directly on to the board, now these are mainly meant to be used for a small ssd for speeding up file access on a normal hdd, however you can get a 120Gb MSata drive to use if you wanted which, can have windows loaded on to it and aslong as the board allows you to boot from that drive you are fine.

I am waiting for larger MSata drives to come out and then basically I will get a board and drive, and literally I won't need to have sata cables being used in the pc  :D

What you can also do is use a standard hdd for windows and your programs etc, and then use a ssd for all your games I must admit I did it that way for a while and its good but I just got fed up of windows taking around a minute to load windows.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2012, 07:31: AM by damien c »

Offline zingle

« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2012, 11:39: AM »
I got windows on a 60 gig SSD and games on a 120

Offline zingle

« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2012, 11:41: AM »
Klins

I am using a Corsair Force 3 Sata 3 drive, which can be got for around £110 from Scan.

That drive will work fine on a Sata 2 connection and still be very fast, although until you upgrade to a Sata 3 connection it won't give you the full speed.

I have Window's and Battlefield 3 on my ssd, and from pressing the power button it takes around 25 seconds to get in to windows, and when I am playing Battlefield 3 it takes anything from 10 to 25 seconds to load the map but that depends on how big it is and how many players are on it etc.

You can go for a motherboard now that will use a MSata connection which is for a SSD to fit directly on to the board, now these are mainly meant to be used for a small ssd for speeding up file access on a normal hdd, however you can get a 120Gb MSata drive to use if you wanted which, can have windows loaded on to it and aslong as the board allows you to boot from that drive you are fine.

I am waiting for larger MSata drives to come out and then basically I will get a board and drive, and literally I won't need to have sata cables being used in the pc  :D

What you can also do is use a standard hdd for windows and your programs etc, and then use a ssd for all your games I must admit I did it that way for a while and its good but I just got fed up of windows taking around a minute to load windows.

The Renice is upto 240 gig now

Offline zingle

« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2012, 10:21: AM »
if you get in quick the 120 mushin on Aria are 89 quid a bargain linited stock get in there . Not the fastest ssd but no slouch http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Mushkin+Chronos+120GB+2.5%22+SATA-III+Solid+State+Hard+Drive+?productId=45660

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2012, 03:17: PM »
Wish I had the money as they are one of the fastest drives on the market at the moment.

Offline madonion_uk

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2012, 04:23: PM »
yep, same here. My vertex II is down to 24Gb free space (out of 111Gb) so any new games I get will currently have too install on ye olde hdd.
for me, it's payday on friday, but will any be left at that price....
I also need a new soundcard as I get a lot of static coming through (i.e buzzing everytime the hdd is accessed, weird high pitched beeping etc)
Better to be a minute late in this world than a minute early in the next....

Offline zingle

« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2012, 05:08: PM »
order it on a credit card then pay for it later lol

Offline zingle

« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2012, 07:41: AM »
yep, same here. My vertex II is down to 24Gb free space (out of 111Gb) so any new games I get will currently have too install on ye olde hdd.
for me, it's payday on friday, but will any be left at that price....
I also need a new soundcard as I get a lot of static coming through (i.e buzzing everytime the hdd is accessed, weird high pitched beeping etc)

have you disabled hibernation and deleted hiberfil.sys file? if not then this is taking up 3 quarters of your ram in hard drive space