naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Underused Servers  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Underused Servers
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2012, 04:12: PM »
I'll also look at ticket count for Conquest.  Don't want to go too high though otherwise games take too long, especially if there aren't many players on, and we still want a chance to get those "winner" medals.

I think an increase from 300 to 450 -> 500 for each side (900 -> 1000 total) is about right (150% -> 166%)

I would also say, that in a conquest game, the number of players does not affect the length of the game too much. As one side will always be bleeding tickets - it's more down to the better team holding the capture points, whether 2 vs 2 or 32 vs 32.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2012, 04:18: PM by Stormpr00ter »

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2012, 04:36: PM »
For promoting NTHW servers & clan, I have found these links

Gametracker : http://www.gametracker.com/games/bf3/forum.php?category=115095
Battlelog: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/view/2832654624698780536/

HTH

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2012, 04:49: PM »
I already use gametracker type links in my signatures on gaming based forums that I frequent such as Gaming Deluxe, KillerCreation.  Only trouble with those types of links is they show how rarely there is worthwhile activity on the servers :erm:  Virtually every forum I visit has NTHW linked in my profile / siggy in some way.

Whilst we freely allow people to join the forum, and game servers, because of our policies on recruitment to the inner sanctums we propably don't come across as that welcoming.  No easy way to overcome that and most clanners, including me, wouldn't want to make things too easy for people to just post and join.  Indeed we've had too many problems from those we thought were Ok and accepted after scrutiny, for us to relax recruiting.  But strict recruitment will always be a barrier to busier server activity.

If our 64 slot server, can't be brought into better use there is little point maintaining (paying for) it's capacity.  When it is next due to for renewal we will have to re-evaluate accordingly.  It may be that releases funding capacity to either bolster another server (if there is demand for extra slots elsewhere - no such demand at present). or perhaps to enable us to run another small server and thus game type choice?
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Stu038

• [NTHW] In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2012, 09:38: PM »
Personally I don't have any real problems with our current setup,  there seems to be this need to quantify what we've got, we rend our hair beat our chests and bemoan that no-one ever comes on our servers every few months just recently, well sod em while there's enough of us contributing to be able to afford them then what does it matter :shrug:

However seeing as the subject has come up in no particular order here's my two penneth.

I don't agree that us being strict about recruitment is a problem, we're not getting the numbers onto the servers and we're not generating enough traffic onto the website for people to be discouraged by not being able to join instantly.

BF3 is in itself a quite elitist game, the PC sales were only a few million and there's never more than a couple of hundred thousand playing at any one time so your not going to get the traffic visiting the servers that there was in the CoD days, there's too many games and not enough people these days.

Pings are relative, just because we get good pings in the UK doesn't mean that everyone else would too.

Other than ours I've got a couple of other servers in my favourites, the GITS ones which are just complete mayhem 64player TDM in the areas of the A & C flags on Nosehair great for a bit of senseless killing. Not hardcore, no restrictions on weapons at all, a great place to get weapons based assignments completed and almost constantly full.

An American one that is aircraft only and a German hardcore TDM one that suits me because they seem to always kick the french :tu:

As for my filters then I adjust them for what I fancy playing at the time.

Game types? well at the moment I prefer to play rush but when BF3 came out last year it seemed to be all we'd played in BFBC2 and I was sick to death of it so welcomed conquest. That said personally I don't think that we would gain anything by swapping from Conquest to Rush neither one of them seems to be more popular than the other.

We need to have single player start otherwise no one is ever going to join unless one of us does first.
When we leave enmass for another one of our servers we should invite everyone else to come with us.

Iirc we had the 64 server for the large maps so we could have vehicles, with armoured kill we don't need it that big anymore so yep reduce it down to a 32. Is that going to give us a greater map range because to be honest I get sick to death it seems to be the same 3 or 4 maps every time on conquest, which brings me neatly onto my next point;

There does not seem to enough of us who can do simple things like changing maps game styles, as well as that I think we need to be a lot smarter about how we admin the servers, we shouldn't be kicking people just for the sake of it or because they're better than us or because we think they may be cheating because they're better than us or for swearing, our website says we're mature gamers, we curse and swear on TS yet our rules say be a good little boy and don't swear how ferkin hypocritical can you get ffs, yet we shouldn't be letting people get away with things either or ruining the game for the majority.  I think we need to grow some balls somtimes and say sorry but your too good and your pissing people off so please go away and join a game with others of your calibre rather than using us to stat pad.

I think it was a bad idea to put the noobs bit in our server names and I'm glad its gone BF3 is as I said earlier an elitist game and there arn't that many noobs play it.

As for advertising ourselves then we have a facebook group why not unprivatise it?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2012, 09:41: PM by Stu038 »
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Offline zingle

« Reply #24 on: 13 September 2012, 10:53: PM »
Well a private Facebook when you have a forum is a total waste of time. That would be the first thing you do then start posting on loads of Facebook pages like all the main manufacturers ie gigabyte asus nvidia amd intel then all the gaming pages.

You have there in your hands a free advertising tool and you have it set so only you can see it I lmfao

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #25 on: 13 September 2012, 11:55: PM »
Dunno who actually set up our Facebook Group.  It wasn't me, so for once you all can't blame it's settings on an MGP moment :D  I think it was probably put there as a fallback in case this website fell over.  But perhaps yes better use could be made of it.

For me this isn't about attracting more members, financing servers, etc.  It's more about making better use of what we do run. If we wanted to just play as a clan, then we don't need servers with much more than 16 slots.  But in reality if we only have clan players things get a bit boring, as does a lack of variety in maps or gametypes.  I don't expect to fill our servers 24/7.  Inevitably there is probably more public server capacity than active players.  That's been the case with many many games, not just BF3.  But that we don't get many visiting even when there are a few of us on seems a bit poor.

When BF3 was first launched it was thought that to take advantage of the larger maps you needed large slot servers.  BF2 certainly worked that way that the map area expanded as more players joined in.  BF3 maps sizes aren't affected by player numbers so in theory even the largest of maps could be used on a 10 slot server.  But what most of us still want is some level of opposition when we play rather than just running around in empty space?

Servers will remain with low player count start.  No point in restricting things from getting going.  The "noob" tag is dropped, when introduced it seems that a lot of others were having some success getting visitors to their games.

We don't have profanity filters active anywhere.  There may be a message saying don't swear, but it's largely there just so we can control things when someone gets especially over the top.  The odd word here and there shouldn't require draconian reactions? 

I started this thread in the public area of the board, in the hope that we might learn not only what our full clan members like, but also perhaps hear from the others who visit us from time to time as to why they do, or don't, play with us.  Hopefully, in time, we will get some wider feedback.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2012, 08:55: AM »
@Stu
I agree with what you say. I also play on the GITS servers - for the reason that it is mindless fun, but it does help ranking up and unlocking weapons faster that other servers and games. I think this is why it is popular with the more casual players.

I hear what you say about BF3 being elitist, I talked to my son about it last night - he said on the XBOX it's not like that - so must be a PC thing.
XBOX players are a little peeved about the PC getting more vehicles/players on the new AK maps, was the other thing he mentioned.

I strongly agree that the 64 slot server should be dropped to 32, 32 is more than enough for Conquest. I'd suggest we have 3 x 32 slot servers - this would give us much flexibility in what we want to have running. I've played 32 player TDM, and it's OK, and 32 player TDM in CQ is OK too.

I think it would be nice to see more casual players coming on to play, but I'll ask again "What do you want from the servers?", that is directed at the clan as a whole - not just you Stu.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 14 September 2012, 02:34: PM »
A suggestion on the Server names (as they appear in battlelog)...

Perhaps use some abbreviations?

e.g.

[NTHW] AK Conquest HC 24/7 - nthwgaming.co.uk
[NTHW] AK TDM HC 24/7 - nthwgaming.co.uk
[NTHW] CQ TDM HC 24/7 - nthwgaming.co.uk

The 24/7 bit shows people that's what they are going to get - i.e. no mixed game modes, as the servers run in hardcore - this should also be stated - hence the HC bit.

Online Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #28 on: 14 September 2012, 04:09: PM »
Yeah, that 24/7 idea is a good one  :doh: :)
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Klinsman

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2012, 04:16: PM »
Iv also played on servers with rolling stats,most headshots,knives,deaths ect

Online Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2012, 04:31: PM »
Iv also played on servers with rolling stats,most headshots,knives,deaths ect
Pah, gimmick, imo  ;D

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2012, 05:18: PM »
I feel nowhere near qualified enough to comment as I have played little BF3 in comparison to you guys and probably will only ever play on our servers for short blasts here and there.

Therefore, happy to with the flow.

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2012, 05:26: PM »
facebook page that was me so if people want i can open it up

Offline Squeak

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #33 on: 14 September 2012, 06:49: PM »
Don't see why anyone should "rip this apart".

Another point to note is that the vast majority of NTHW clanners are (at the very least) better-than-average players, and I know this because you guys own me every time I play with you, yet on other servers I seem to at least be able to 'hold my own' <expect comment from squeak on that :D >.

What ever dp you mean Storm? I'm sweet and Innocent  :angel:

Online Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #34 on: 14 September 2012, 07:03: PM »
Squeak mentioning Storm and "dp" in the same sentence  :D

Online Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #35 on: 15 September 2012, 06:15: PM »
Our Armoured TDM is full atm  :o

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #36 on: 15 September 2012, 06:42: PM »
Has been since mid morning :)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2012, 11:28: PM »
Happy? :D

May be a blip from double XP this weekend....
« Last Edit: 15 September 2012, 11:30: PM by Stormpr00ter »

Online Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2012, 12:19: PM »
Also, they are new maps and great for sniping.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #39 on: 06 November 2012, 07:39: PM »
facebook page that was me so if people want i can open it up

I realised I'd been granted admin rights on that facebook group, even though you set it up.  It's now set to be visible to anyone, but can only be posted into by group members.