naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Battlefield 4  (Read 50020 times)

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
Battlefield 4
« on: 30 January 2013, 10:10: AM »
Well rumours are starting to float around the net about BF 4.

Apparently it will be a launch title for the new consoles which are supposed to be coming in Q4 this year.

It will also apparently run at 60fps with 64 player support on the new consoles, compared to 30fps and I think 32 players on BF3 using the current gen consoles.

It will use the Frostbite 2.0 engine, and will utilise it up to 80% of the engines capabilities compared to BF3 which only uses the engine to 30-40% on all platforms.

PC version will apparently have a 100fps cap on it.

BF 4 will be apparently released October 2013, although Dice have stated before that the Beta will be out in 2013 and the game will release in 2014.

All the information seems to be coming from EA's China based offices.

These are only rumours so take them with a pinch of salt but seems abit dodgy to me, because DICE have never in my experience put a frame rate cap etc in a game.

Offline zingle

Re: Battlefield 4
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2013, 10:39: AM »
Quite often the framerate which the game outputs is to high for the screen it is being played on or there is a mismatch of frequencies which I am sure everyone here has experienced in the form of graphic tearing. If you suffer this with your screen I am sure you all know you enable vsync which in sense caps the gfx frame rate to 60. Blu ray dvd runs at 24 frames per second so capping @ 100 will make absolutely no difference to the quality of the game and to those who can see the flicker at higher frame rates it will actually be an improvement

As for this game I honestly could not care less for it same as I am not really excited about Crisis 3 either

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2013, 11:27: AM »
Higher frame rates only really come into play with larger and higher resolution screens.

A standard HD TV/Monitor with a 32 inch screen would not benefit from anything more than 30fps - however larger and higher resolution screens (like a 60 inch 4k screen) would need the higher frame rates as the flicker becomes more apparent.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2013, 11:29: AM »
That fps and screen refresh rate makes a lot of sense Zing.  Something I hadn't thought about before.  So really if we are buying monitors we need to be thinking about not only the response time and resolution, but also it's refresh capabilities.  Perhaps in stead of upgrading our graphics we should first be upgrading our monitors to something with higher refresh?

Another excuse to spend money :erm:
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2013, 11:45: AM »
Higher frame rates only really come into play with larger and higher resolution screens.

A standard HD TV/Monitor with a 32 inch screen would not benefit from anything more than 30fps - however larger and higher resolution screens (like a 60 inch 4k screen) would need the higher frame rates as the flicker becomes more apparent.

The issue with some games is though regardless of the refresh rate/size of screen etc it doesn't feel smooth with 30fps and it stutters like crazy which is why I always try to get games running at a minimum of 60fps.

That fps and screen refresh rate makes a lot of sense Zing.  Something I hadn't thought about before.  So really if we are buying monitors we need to be thinking about not only the response time and resolution, but also it's refresh capabilities.  Perhaps in stead of upgrading our graphics we should first be upgrading our monitors to something with higher refresh?

Most monitors will only do 60hz at high resolutions.

Mine and yours monitors say they are 1080p 75hz but they won't do 75hz in 99% of things at 1080p and instead you have to drop the resolution down to something like 1280x720 to get 75hz.

If you want a high refresh rate monitor then you need to buy a 3D monitor which will do 1080p at 120hz or 144hz I think it is but when running in 3D your performance takes a massive hit.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2013, 11:48: AM »
You're right about the game fps . It does make the game play smoother- but it has little effect on what the monitor actually displays.

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2013, 02:20: PM »
I doubt my PC or monitor will cope.  It barely does with BF3.
So, for that reason, I'm out.

Offline zingle

« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2013, 02:21: PM »

The issue with some games is though regardless of the refresh rate/size of screen etc it doesn't feel smooth with 30fps and it stutters like crazy which is why I always try to get games running at a minimum of 60fps.

Most monitors will only do 60hz at high resolutions.

Mine and yours monitors say they are 1080p 75hz but they won't do 75hz in 99% of things at 1080p and instead you have to drop the resolution down to something like 1280x720 to get 75hz.

If you want a high refresh rate monitor then you need to buy a 3D monitor which will do 1080p at 120hz or 144hz I think it is but when running in 3D your performance takes a massive hit.

I did run 3D games for a while but it was to weird lol  As you say 60 is optimal and that is why vsync is set to that :)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2013, 03:03: PM »
Till you upgrade :tu:
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2013, 03:18: PM »

::)

We shall see.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2013, 03:47: PM »

::)

We shall see.

Just don't buy whatever Rammy has got, unless you too want to experience crash after crash after crash .....
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2013, 03:48: PM »
BF4 my arse lol still trying to play BF3 ffs :rofl:

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2013, 05:03: PM »

Just don't buy whatever Rammy has got, unless you too want to experience crash after crash after crash .....
I'm sure it's that sodding soundcard/drivers

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2013, 05:11: PM »

I'm sure it's that sodding soundcard/drivers

Use the onboard for testing purposes ????

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2013, 05:57: PM »
Just reinstalled the drivers so I'll see how that goes first......

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2013, 08:48: AM »

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2013, 01:26: PM »
Some more information seems to have been leaked.

http://wccftech.com/battlefield-4-sticks-720p60-fps-nextgen-consoles-frostbite-25-game-details-leaked-arriving-november-2013/#ixzz2OCyx397v

Battlefield 4 Gets Frosbite 2.5 Engine – Destruction 4.0, Tessellation, Dynamic Weather Affects
In our previous article, we mentioned how the next generation Battlefield 4 would utilize 80% of the Frostbite engine’s power compared to 30% utilization in Battlefield 3. The new Frostbite 2.5 engine would feature much more enhanced visuals with PC being the lead platform for the game. According to the details, Battlefield 4 would maintain a steady 60 FPS on 720P resolution on both next generation consoles which include the PS4 and Xbox 720 which is a slight bit of a disappointment since earlier rumors suggested 1080P/60 FPS target for the next-gen consoles. However, the next generation consoles including the PC would get 64 players while the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 would stick to the default 24 player setup which is currently seen on Battlefield 4.

Frostbite 2.5 would be a complete overhaul of the current Frostbite 2.0 engine with DirectX 11 compatibility only on PC. Furthermore, the game would feature Dynamic weather effects such as rain, sandstorms, fog, haze and would be totally random. Each map would get these dynamic weather effects and would change depending on the variable conditions. As you may have noted, the cover image shows a glimpse of these weather effects such as rain. Battlefield 4 would also bring back the much renowned and upgraded Destruction 4.0 system to the game which would offer destructible environments and buildings which we saw back in Bad Company 2. PC versions would benefit from compute power which would render these dynamic destructible effects much more realistically. Furthermore, all of the environment including water, terrain and characters/NPC would make use of the new tessellation technology implemented inside Frostbite 2.5.

I will reserve judgement on this till it's released, but if it's got vehicles in it then I am going to give it a miss regardless of what the game is like since the vehicles are what has destroyed Battlefield 3 in my mind, and I know Battlefield is all about vehicles but they have completley ruined the game for me but thats a different story.

Beta apparently will be in October 2013 and the game will apparently release in November 2013.

Dice have trouble this year though if they release the game this year, since there will be the unannounced Call Of Duty game releasing in November which is no doubt going to be Modern Warfare 4, then there is potentially Halo 5 coming this year, Destiny which apparently is coming this year as well which apparently is going to be a launch title for the Playstation 4.

Quite a few games coming at the end of this year, so if Dice release it then I think they are in serious trouble.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2013, 01:40: PM »
I will reserve judgement on this till it's released, but if it's got vehicles in it then I am going to give it a miss regardless of what the game is like since the vehicles are what has destroyed Battlefield 3 in my mind, and I know Battlefield is all about vehicles but they have completley ruined the game for me but thats a different story.

There are still plenty of Infantry Only game modes to play on BF3 - I know a few clanners much prefer Infantry TDM to vehicle-based conquest. In fact, TDM seems to be the most played game mode on our servers, at least it seems to be when I'm on.
Personally, I like both.

Offline dilli-theclaw

• NO!
  • [NTHW] In Memoriam
  • 1 x CRIPP
« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2013, 01:57: PM »
 regardless -  no more games for me I think.

I haven't been able to play my aliens colonial marines game do it seems even more pointless. 

Offline SkyBlueHeroes

• [NTHW] Retired List
  • Totes Amaze
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2013, 02:13: PM »
regardless -  no more games for me I think.

I haven't been able to play my aliens colonial marines game do it seems even more pointless.

Nor me.  PC can't cope with BF3 and I can't justify an upgrade.