naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Battlefield 4 Game Server Providers Culled  (Read 6332 times)

Offline [NTHW] Clan

• NTHW Gaming
Battlefield 4 Game Server Providers Culled
« on: 05 September 2013, 03:45: PM »
It looks like EA/DICE are about to do an Activision and restrict the number of Game Server Providers (GSP).  It might not be quite as bad a situation as CoD Black Ops which created a monopoly, but news on the web is the list is somewhat trimmed.  There is no official confirmation from EA/DICE, and a lot of speculation. 

We do know that our current GSP, GamingDeluxe.co.uk is not on the current EA/DICE list.  Many will consider that as somewhat odd.  Of the current 350 UK based BF3 servers, GamingDeluxe host virtually 50%.  Clearly GamingDeluxe.co.uk are doing something right.

If GamingDeluxe cannot gain GSP status for BF4 this will cause NTHW a number of problems.  Our entire existence, game servers, teamspeak, rcon hosting, website, are all provided under one package and we get a good discount from GD for putting all eggs in one basket.  Aside from the sheer hassle involved with any hosting change, and concerns that whoever we then use to meet our needs would be reliable, our costs would increase, or we will have to make do with a lot less.

We can only hope that EA/DICE will have a change of heart, but the prognosis is not good.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
Re: Battlefield 4 Game Server Providers Culled
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2013, 03:56: PM »
We just have to hope it's not Gameservers.com that they choose to limit it to like Activision did with Call Of Duty Black Op's as we had nothing but problems with it and it took me numerous tickets and email's to get the issues resolved.

I think one of the issues is the sheer amount of servers on Battlefield 3 where vehicles and weapons are restricted and people are either kicked or banned if they use them, as well as the server files being leaked by a GSP meaning people were able to run 128 player slot servers for a short while as well.

Either way it's going to be a case of we can either stick with what we have or we have to move which is always a nightmare.

Offline zingle

« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2013, 04:03: PM »
is this sort of thing not against anti competition laws?

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2013, 04:11: PM »

Apparently not.  Activision got away with it for CoD Black Ops.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2013, 04:14: PM »

To be honest game developers have been trying for years to force people to use who they say for the servers, which is something that has happened with Battlefield 3 when they restricted which providers you could use.

This just simply looks as if they are reducing that list further as those companies not on the list could have been breaking rules put in place by the developers or publishers.

With Black Op's 1 you were limited to one provider only and numerous complaints were made but nothing was ever done about it.

If this turns out to be the same then I will not be buying Battlefield 4 since it will be a big middle finger to the pc community that they say they listen to and want to support.

I have sent a message on twitter to the battlefield account and if I don't get a response I will then send it straight to Dice and EA.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2013, 04:17: PM »
Talk about a frikking great spanner in the works  >:(

Another potentially awesome game, fracked up by the poxy publisher.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2013, 04:32: PM »

Apparently not.  Activision got away with it for CoD Black Ops.

EA own the intellectual property rights to the game server software and can distribute or restrict in whatever way they wish, i.e. they are not compelled to offer to sell it to anyone. - "The management reserves the right to refuse to sell blah blah blah"

Offline EntraVenuS

« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2013, 05:49: PM »
rant away guys make some noise

http://redd.it/1lseet

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2013, 08:12: AM »
Does anyone know if any GSPs confirmed as yet?
I cannot find anything specific myself.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2013, 09:03: AM »
I'm gonna hold off pre-ordering mine & Alex's copies till this is all made a bit clearer.....
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2013, 09:26: AM »
I'm still gonna get the game, just won't bother with Premium or other expansion packs unless NTHW are going to run servers.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2013, 10:09: AM »
I expect we will run at least one server for BF4.  It's inevitable that the majority of the clan want to give the game a try out.  What we don't know is who we will be using for the server hosting, the quality and cost of the server and what disruption will result to everything else.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2013, 10:15: AM »
I expect we will run at least one server for BF4.  It's inevitable that the majority of the clan want to give the game a try out.  What we don't know is who we will be using for the server hosting, the quality and cost of the server and what disruption will result to everything else.

We have such a good package with GamingDeluxe, it'd be a crying shame to leave it behind.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2013, 11:17: AM »
I don't want to leave GamingDeluxe.  They have served us very well with prompt support on the few occasions it's been needed, mostly because we've been trying to change or upgrade something.  They offer good value.  Most importantly I have a good relationship with them.

There would be little point in retaining the current dedicated game server package with them if we aren't using it.  As we know when any new replacement game comes out, the older game swiftly falls from favour.  We saw that with the CoD series, we saw that with BFBC2 to BF3.  I don't see BF4 as being any different.  We only run our CoD4 server because the current server box we have has capacity for it.  If it were incurring a specific cost we wouldn't do it for the negligible use it gets.  Similarly with GD the dedi server box allows us to run the three BF3 servers.  If it weren't for the dedi we'd max out at two BF3 servers as we'd also have added costs for teamspeak, procon layer host, website, etc, all of which fit in our current bundle.

Bottom line, unless there is a last minute change of heart that allows GamingDeluxe to host BF4, we are going to loose out.  It's going to cost us more to do less, and yours truly will have a lot of work to do as things get moved around.

My interpretation of everything I'm seeing on the net is that that EA/DICE have determined they should only allow big hosting companies who have a presence in more than one area.  Operations like gamingdeluxe, who are based at single data centres, are thus out.  That is a shame.  Perhaps by reducing the number of server providers, EA/DICE hope that their own backend server systems for Battlelog, necessary for the ranking scores, etc, will be more reliable and resilient.  They also have fewer server people that they actually have to deal with if there are issues.  So from EA/DICE point of view they've probably saved money, at the risk of costing their customers more.

As has also been said elsewhere there is a longer term concern.  Fewer game server providers means less competition and prices risk rising.  A vague post in one of the battlelog discussion threads from someone with a DICE tag suggests "there are several hosters planned for BF4", but that may still come down to only one or two providers who have a UK presence.  That leaves nowhere to turn to if the server provider in your region sucks.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2013, 12:26: PM »
Well I guess we just have to wait for the announcement from EA/DICE

Anything I can assist with - just let me know, should the need arise.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2013, 03:57: PM »
As I have said I will not be buying the game if we are not able to host it on our dedicated server!

The simple fact is that EA/Dice are risking loosing alot of customers at the moment in the UK as there are alot of people who are not going to buy the game if the servers are not hosted by GD.

It won't matter how good the game is or how poor it is I will just not buy it.

I really do think though that if GD don't get hosting rights and EA/Dice see that they have lost a large amount of customers in the UK that they will change there minds but until it's confirmed that GD have hosting rights I will continue to say I won't buy it.

People can call me sad if they want, but having dealt with the likes of gameservers.com when we had issues with the Black Op's 1 server and seeing how crap there support is, compared to what it appears GD's is like just shows how much more willing to work for our money the smaller companies are and how much they should be supported when compared to the bigger companies.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2013, 04:53: PM »
The problem with your boycott Damien is that, ignoring the console players, even amongst PC purchasers, it will only be a small proportion of the player base that is actually involved in game server rental.  Refusing to buy the game if we can't rent with our preferred supplier is going to make an unnoticeable dent in the game purchase stats.

Where a reduced overall provision of servers might be more noticeable is in any share of fees that EA/DICE get from the GSPs.  We know that there is a licence fee payable on BF3.

Ranked servers are an important part of the Battlefield experience.  But one only has to read a few lines of the Battlelog forums to see how many complaints eminate from the server process, mostly attributed to poor administration.  Those complaints will emanate largely from public players who don't contribute to the game server rental process.  Yet EA/DICE rely on individuals to rent and run servers, otherwise there would be nowhere to play on.  That may have been one factor in Activision's moves with CoD towards the peer to peer hosting rather than dedicated servers?

The problem now is that the decision of server providers for BF4 has probably been made.  The fewer providers will need to be gearing up and probably already arranging for the increased capacity they need.  If EA/DICE backtrack, they'd no doubt incur the wrath and perhaps perceived loss of business of their selected providers.  Worse the fact that there is now a bit of a fuss in some quarters, stemming from GD's initial tweet a couple of days ago, means EA/DICE's relationship with GD is probably somewhat damaged and lines may get drawn simply out of principle.

Whatever, it sucks, and once again the gamer is the loser.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2013, 05:49: PM »
I agree with what you say that my choosing to not buy the game will not even be felt in the pockets of EA/Dice but if quite a substantial amount of UK based gamers don't buy the game then that will be felt.

With Call Of duty, there were complaints about server admins banning people from servers for various reasons although it was mainly because people thought the player was to good, and I have fallen foul of that myself several times but I just move on and find another server.

With Modern Warfare 2 Infinity Ward went down the P2P hosting thinking that it would stop the people who insist on cheating, when all it did was actually make it easier for them and people were screaming for Dedicated Servers.

When Modern Warfare 3 came out Infinity Ward make the big speech about how they were giving us COD 4 style servers, as well as the P2P option but they sabotaged the servers right from the start by making them non ranked and unlocking everything for every player, right from the start which wasn't so bad for some people, but it left alot of us annoyed because it meant there was nothing to work towards when playing on those servers, and again the P2P system was being abused by cheaters.

Eventually there was a tool called MW3SA developed which meant that the person who was the host of the game could kick people out of the lobby/game for cheating or what ever reason they wanted and Infinity Ward, publicly expressed that this tool was ok to use even though it was one of the reasons they got rid of the servers in the first place.

Treyarch released Black Op's 1 and removed the option to choose who you rented a server from and they got nothing but public backlash from the people who bought the game and ran the servers, because of the poor quality of servers that were provided.

Treyarch also received allot of backlash because of the basic things they removed from the servers such as choosing the length of the game or score limit.

Treyarch did however receive allot of praise for the fact that they allowed Rentable Ranked Dedicated Servers in the game and did not ban people from using such Rcon tools as Black Tomato Mod and others, which gave you access to be able to turn of the temp ban from a server for to many team kills or being able to setup custom map and gametype rotations.

With Battlefield 3 you can practically do what ever you want and EA/Dice wouldn't do anything to you other than warn you that your server might get shut down, and I think there was only ever less than 100 servers that were shut down from breaking the rules laid out by EA/Dice.

Now what EA/Dice appear to be doing is what Activision did and blaming the gamers for doing something with the servers that they said you could and couldn't do but they never fully enforced the rules, in which case leads to people breaking those rules, which then leads to complaints about the servers.

I am pretty sure our servers break at least one of those rules if I am not mistaken because we can change how long the match last's for  but we have not had our server shutdown.

All this is, is EA/Dice getting in to bed with the likes of Gameservers.com/Multiplaygameservers.com to get a bigger portion of the kickbacks from server rentals all whilst loosing customers and loosing the respect of potential customers and also the partners, for the servers because those that will be left will be wondering constantly if they are going to be the next to loose the business of EA/Dice in the future.

Now I would have normally pre-ordered the new COD game buy now but I am not doing that until I know what type of Rentable servers are going to be available after the launch of the game, since Infinity Ward have already stated we will be able to rent the servers after launch but they have not said when or what type as in, are they ranked, what can be done with them as in time limits/score limits etc.

If we are not able to run BF4 on our current box then I will not buy the game, to show how disgusted I am that EA/Dice have chosen to snub the biggest provider of Battlefield servers in the UK, and basically trying to put said company out of business because most people if they have to move one server, then they will move everything because it will normally work out cheaper only using one provider rather than multiple providers.

The way things are going it's going to be pointless gaming on the PC because all the developers are turning to the same model as is used on the consoles which means, no control or very little control, no support for modding or map making because apparently we are all to stupid to use a modding tool, unoptimized games because the developers are to lazy to spend abit of time to optimize the game, crappy ports from the weakest system with a few minor tweaks to make it look slightly better on the pc, and the final nail in the coffin basically no option to choose a decent company to host the server for the games, we may as well all just go and buy a Xbox One or Playstation 4 with a keyboard and mouse adaptor when they are released, and play games on that since it's pretty much going to be the same experience on the consoles we are going to get on the pc with BF4 and other games.

The only game I am really looking forward to at the moment is Titanfall, and hopefully Respawn don't do the same bullshit as EA/Dice and Activision/Infinity Ward and Treyarch have pulled with the servers, at least then they will have a game worth buying.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2013, 08:21: PM »
Wow.........good post/rant  :o :notworthy: ;D
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...